Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Saddled

I used to love this season - the crisp fall air, trips to the cider mill, picking apples and the changing leaves. I loved it so much I named my first daughter after this season, the one she was born into.

But this year, I can't stand it. I look at the bright, bold colors of each leaf throwing off its chlorophyl, beautiful and brilliant in their final dying, and all I can see is death. Everything is dying. Cornstalks that, just a few months ago, stretched into endless green fields now sway in the autumn wind, yellowed and faded, simply husks. It's all fading away, and while I once gloried in the beautiful, dazzling display of autumn's end, now all it does is remind me.

It reminds me of William, and his death. I wish I'd seen him in those last moments, been able to look into his eyes, feel his last breath. If I had to lose him, why couldn't I have held him in those last moments? Why does the universe have to keep dangling things in front of me, a carrot before the horse, and yanking it away at the last moment? Almost there...you've almost made it... yet over every hill is just another mirage.

The universe says, you can carry your baby for nine months, but he'll die before you ever get to hold him. The universe says, sure, fine, you'll get pregnant again and get to ride that elated wave for a few days...before it all ends in more pain and blood. 

Always pulled up short, just shy, never quite reaching any sweet destination.

Does the horse eventually catch on? Does she just stop in the middle of the field? Does she turn and leave that impossible carrot dangling?  I am harnessed, the bit a cold, steel reminder in my mouth. There is no other way, that's what my body says, what my head screams.

I want that carrot.

I want my "fuck you" to the universe.

But what I really want is William back.

It's a callous and cold thought: "I went through all that for NOTHING!?" But it's my feeling and it's real. How many times did I say, heavy and dragging with my belly distended with William, "I'm never doing this again!"

I'm never doing this again... 

Careful what you say.

Today, M. said, "If we're not pregnant this time, maybe we should just stop trying."

I couldn't speak, couldn't move, couldn't breathe. That horse can't imagine not trodding onward, heading for that dangling carrot. There is nothing else in her field of vision - it's all orange, all the time. For me, it's like that. All baby, all the time. How can I stop? How can I say no?

The truth is, I'm afraid.

I'm afraid of making that choice. I'm afraid of losing the hope, the possibility that I might... just... reach... that... carrot.

But I'm more afraid of who I might become if there is no rainbow at the end. I have glimpsed that woman, and she isn't pretty. She is bitter, angry, resentful, cynical... If there is no hope, I'm afraid that I will become her, that the worst of the things I have been since William's death will become crystalized like ice shards in my chest, replacing what used to be my heart.

I don't want to be that woman. I want to have hope, I want to believe.  I want to keep pursuing that carrot...even if it is an impossible dream, a mirage. Even if.

14 comments:

ezra'smommy said...

I don't like to glimpse at that woman either. Sending love and a big dose of hope.

Ya Chun said...

poignant.

even if you do stop, that isn't necessarily forever.

Christy said...

I am very afraid of that woman, too. (sorry, I'm talking about me. ;)
I know she lurks but I'm afraid I will forget. I feel like I need a baby, of course not to replace, but to help remind me what I missed. Of course I know, but like you said, there was no reward and I am there with you on that. I have really really tried to be as open as I can possibly be, telling myself I am ok with life either way--having another or not. But I don't know if that's really what I mean.
I related to this post and wanted you to know that....you are not alone.
xxxooo
Christy

margaret said...

Wow this post struck a chord in my heart. I AM that woman now having chosen to have my tubes tied during the birth of my twins. And then I lost my son and any hope of ever having another baby boy. I think that if you're not ready to stop than don't. I think if you want to try than you should rather than face a lifetime of what if's. I think that chasing the rainbow or the carrot is not a bad thing in the scheme of things having talked to other babylost mothers who's rainbow babies "softened the blow" a bit. Whatever you decide, whatever hand fate deals you, we are here to support you. Hugging you

Sophie said...

I'm so sorry. I remember feeling that way too. I send you as much strength and hope that I have to keep trying. I sense more strength in you yet to keep going. If it is ever time to stop you will know when. M is probably trying to just take the pressure off you.

Thinking of carrots now... wishing yours to you soon.

xx

Emerging Butterfly said...

Wow....so profoundly right on.

I used to be a woman that believed in my body. I believed in birth. I had tossed aside the pain of early miscarriages with triumpant live babies....and now....have given birth and held what should have been alive. But was not. Gave myself to the path I was on, only to be slapped at laughed at by the universe that stole my twins. ruthlessly. shamelessly.

I want my "fuck you" too. I want a damed carrot CAKE!

But I don't see the baker making one for me. I haven't even tried to place an order for one. My husband is afraid of the carrot...and a huge part of me is too. What if we are supposed to be just what we are now. A family of 7, with three dogs, two rabbits, a tortoise and a silver ferret. What if my heart gets to bleed forever, simply because we are too afraid to risk the devastation of loss or impairment.

I don't want to be that woman you talk about...but I feel that ice...I live that pain. ((HUG))

You are not alone.

Which means that I am not alone either.

Michele said...

Oh sweetheart, you are not alone in this... Not alone at all.

Funsize said...

I'm very much afraid of being that woman. It's too much of a possibility for me to become her. I want my fuck you, universe, I win. You are not alone in this, not one bit.

Holding you in my thoughts...

Anonymous said...

sending *hugs* and peace. Starting over again is such an emotional roller coaster after all of the emotions we have already and always will experiance as a result of our babies' death. Praying to give you the strength you need to make the decisions you need to make.

Anonymous said...

you will do this again, and have your carrot too.

Tina said...

I know what you mean. I feel like I started something that I couldn't finish. And now I have this overpowering need to complete the circle. Wishing you peace and comfort. xx

Juliet said...

I've thought about this too, and I don't want to be that woman either. I hope you have your rainbow baby really, really soon.

Catherine W said...

Like Tina, I have that feeling of leaving something unfinished. I still need to chase the carrot too. And like you, I know that I will be terrified no matter what outcome.
Much love to you, xo

Mirne said...

I am that woman, and at the moment, I have no hope.