Thursday, September 3, 2009

Superstitions and Coincidences

Yesterday, M. came in yelling, "I ran over a black cat!"

My first superstitious thought, "Oh great! How many years of bad luck is that!?" 

Sure enough, I ran out and there was a dead black cat in the driveway. But I think he'd been dead a while and the running over part hadn't pained him at all. Rigor mortis had set in. I'm pretty sure he'd crawled under our car to hide and died there. I don't know who he belonged to-he didn't wear a collar or a tag. And I don't know any neighbor with a black cat. Poor guy. In a way, I hope he was a stray, that there isn't someone out there looking for him, wondering what happened.

Then today, the kids brought home two new friends. New neighbors across the way with two boys who bookend our littles in age. Their names? The older one is Blake. That's strange enough, since that's the name of my oldest son. The littlest one though... his name is William. Ouch. 

Sometimes coincidences really suck. :x

9 comments:

Juliet said...

It always pulls at my heart when I hear of someone named Lachlan. It was recently the most popular name in Australia so I'm sure it will pop up more and more as this generation of Lachlans grow up.
I wish that William was alive and that the coincidence was just super cool rather than something so painful. ((hugs))

Emerging Butterfly said...

Oh sweet mama....how painful.

...and somehow...it's striking me as beautiful too. The connection between the brothers--that's real...it must tug at your poor bruised heart so painfully.

Sending you MUCH love.

Funsize said...

I know what you mean. I have a customer who has a boy, about 5 or 6, named Collin. It kills me every time they come in.

xoxo

Michele said...

I get a pang every time I hear the names Nicholas, Sophia, or Alexander. I try to smile through it but it still hurts.

Mary said...

Wow is all I have. I can't imagine how that must have made you feel. I have not run into anyone who has named thier child Lukas. But I have two television shows where the characters are Lucas. Just hearing the name makes my heart twinge.

Anonymous said...

Wow. On my daily run the other day, I met a mom with two boys. She introduced the older boy as Matthew. I normally would have said, "Aw, what a nice name. It's so nice to meet you. " But my mouth just opened and closed like a fish and I couldn't say anything. I waited for my daughter to announce, "Our Matthew died." But we said nothing and continued on our run. It sucks.

Sophie said...

Ouch! :(


And poor kitty! At least you guys didn't kill him but...:(

RW-NJ-ME-GG Mom said...

We lost our daughter on April 16th, 2009 and we named her Megan. I only knew one other Megan and she spelled it differently. Now, I see her name everywhere. First I cringe, then I smile every time I hear her name, Megan.

Jayme said...

It's so hard to hear one of my babies names on another kid :(