The first dream I had about William wasn't too long after he died. I dreamed he was born alive, but then he died. In my arms, he breathed his last breath, and I sobbed and sobbed... and then, shockingly, he came back to life in my arms. He gasped and opened his eyes, and my heart burst with joy. Then he died again, just as suddenly as he had woke, he was gone. That was a heartbreaking dream.
The next dream I remember was a month or so later. In this one, he was born alive, warm and wiggling, crying and thrashing, he was placed in my arms, and then he died. His eyes went wide - eyes I never saw open, but I saw them clearly in my dream. He was in pain, something was being taken, and then he was, taken. Gone. Another heartbreaking dream.
The next dream I had about him was a few weeks ago. William was stillborn, they said, and they sent him to the morgue. But he wasn't dead. They discovered he was alive, and they gave him back to me. I carried him around, wrapped in his newborn blanket, and showed him to my sisters, my mother. "How is it possible?" they asked as they cooed over him. I don't know, I said. A miracle. Indeed. That was a miraculous dream. Until I woke up.
Just last night, I dreamed I was pregnant, very pregnant, hugely pregnant. My midwives were looking for a heartbeat and they couldn't find one. Finally, they gave up, shaking their heads. The baby was gone. Gone. This baby wasn't William, it was another baby, a different baby, my rainbow baby, and this baby, too, was gone. I sobbed and keened, wailed and writhed... and then, the baby moved. I stopped, holding completely still, holding my breath. It couldn't be. Could it? But there it was again... and again... and again! My baby was alive! My midwives felt my belly, frowning, sure it was my imagination, but there was a bottom, a foot pushing, clearly pushing outward... a miracle!
In those early dreams, the baby died. Even if he was alive for a moment, ultimately, he slipped away. In the latter two, at least, the danger is clear, but life prevails. My early dreams left me with feelings of loss, regret, guilt, sadness. My latter two dreams, though... I woke with a feeling of hope.
Hope.
It's something I haven't felt in long time. Something, I think, I haven't dared to feel. Especially consciously. I keep "Hope" at arms length when I'm awake. But when I'm sleeping...for some reason I can't consciously fathom...my subconscious is clearly making room for it. I don't know why, and I'm afraid to ask what role "hope" might play in my life, in my future.
Awake, I don't dare think. I don't dare hope.
But when I'm asleep...when I cross over into the place where thinking stops and images and feelings hold sway...things are changing. The landscape, once barren and burned black, has started to show small signs of spring.
Hope is a thing with feathers... in my dreams, I think, I just might be learning to fly.
12 comments:
What a beautiful rainbow baby dream. I think it definitely means that on some level you've made room for hope. I hope that your dream is a signal of a rainbow baby on the way.
Your first dream is eerily similar to my actual experience with Lachlan. Lachlan had stopped breathing, and DH and I thought that he had passed and were crying, and suddenly Lachlan took a huge breath. We were shocked. But then he died "again", just like in your dream.
I'm glad hope is returning, if just a little.
Hi Dawn - its michanders4 from MDC. It definitely does sound like home is returning and I'm so happy for you! I have to say that your first two dreams remind me in a way of a recurring dream I have about my only sister that I suddenly lost 4.5 years ago. I have dreams where she is "back to life" and we don't know why or for how long and boy do I know how awful it feels to wake up from those types of dreams. Big hugs Dawn!!!!
I meant hope is returning!
Also - by so happy for you I mean so happy that you seem to be subconsciously allowing room for hope again...
My husband had a dream similar to one of your latter dreams. The hospital called and said they made a mistake, my son was alive. He was sleeping when we went to pick him up, but my husband felt him breathe. It was almost too much for him to wake up into this reality.
But maybe, the dream meant that my next baby will be born alive. Maybe we'll get to hold our baby, alive and breathing this time.
I am having issues sleeping. I fear that I will have nightmares instead of dreams. But, it is in dreaming that hope is born. I hope that you will someday have a beautiful baby to hold and see grow.
You know I do not understand. I can't, I have not been there. I have empathy but I know it is not even close to your grief. But I want you to know I pray for hope for you daily, even if you may not believe, I will continue to pray for hope and a rainbow baby for you. And all while remembering your sweet William, always.
all we can do is hope.. very poweful dreams btw.. they gave me chills.
I'm happy hope is making her way in again. I remember that being difficult for me, nearly like I was moving on without Zachary, like my body was betraying him and me once again. I was wrong to feel that way, if even for a moment. Hang on to hope -- embrace it and don't ever let go.
I think hope is one of those things that comes back to us in tiny doses, often imperceptibly. I'm pleased that it has crept back into your dreams.
Dreams like that can just tear you apart...
Sending hugs...
Post a Comment