Wednesday, March 31, 2010

This Time Last Year

This time last year, my baby was already dead inside me, but I didn't know it. 
Now my baby is dead and I can't unknow it.

This time last year, I had an empty nursery.
Now, too, I have an empty nursery. 

This time last year the skies were blue and the sun was shining and spring was coming... 
Right now the skies are blue and the sun is shining and spring is coming... 

This time last year I had hope. I didn't know that in just a little over twenty-four hours, my midwife wouldn't be able to find my baby's heartbeat. 

But still, a part of me knew - our little mommy group had lost one precious life already, but I told myself it couldn't happen again. Lightning couldn't strike twice. But I was afraid. My usually active baby had slowed down so much... but this was labor, pre-labor, I told myself, it would be over soon...

And then it was over. Forever over and now I relive it all, over and over.


My grief has grown less sharp around the edges over this past year, like a knife blade worn dull from use. I cut myself with a butter-knife nowadays. That's progress, isn't it?

This time last year I was oblivious. Today, I wish I still was.

Today, I am spending a gorgeous spring afternoon sitting in the dark and watching movies about the holocaust and crying.

Maybe I just want to be reminded - there are worse horrors. I didn't have to choose - who should die, my son or my daughter? My son didn't know that he was going to die - he didn't suffer (please, god, let that last be true...) and he isn't suffering anymore.

Or maybe I just want to see fear and hopelessness and the pain of loss mirrored a million times on a million faces. Maybe then I can recognize my own face in the mirror - who is this woman who has aged exponentially in the past year, who fell down a rabbit hole, who crossed over to the other side and hasn't managed to find her way back through hell...?

Who is she? Who am I?

This time last year, I thought I knew.

Now, I don't think I'll ever know.

11 comments:

Jane said...

thinking of you this week.
your post really resonates withe me, as I am about to pass the 2 year mark without my son...

Michele said...

This is so true... So very true... In so many ways...

T said...

Thinking of you and William as you mark these sad days....you write so beautifully.....this all rings so very true to me.

Especially.....who is she, who am I.

will we ever know ourselves again?

JM said...

Thinking of you all this week and remembering William.

Funsize said...

Wishing you peace on the anniversary of his passing. I wish it never happened.

The Blue Sparrow said...

This was such a gut wrenching honest post that Im left speachless. I wish I had the words here. Just know that Im thinking and praying for you. *HUGS*

Circus Princess said...

Sending you big warm hugs and a wave of love.

Catherine W said...

Thinking of you as you pass through this difficult time.

This post is beautifully written, I'm sitting here nodding. Especially those last few lines.

Much love and remembering William. xo

Anonymous said...

Heartbreaking yet beautiful written post. Will be lighting Sky's candle for William tonight. Thinking about you and hope you'll have a peaceful day with balloons, tattoos and cake.

Amy Primorac said...

You are all in my thoughts today. I hope that the things you have planned today give you some peace.

Allow yourself the ability to be in the emotions you feel today. Don't feel badly about feeling all of them, every single one.

He is remembered today by many. He existed, and he matters. And so do you.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Remembering your precious angel with you today.

*hugs*