I should be planning a first birthday party.
Instead, I'm planning a memorial/remembrance day of sorts. It's hard for me to call it a "birthday party." Birthdays are celebrations. I'm not celebrating. I'm mourning. Still, nearly a year later, still mourning. Forever-mourning, I imagine. I never wanted to be this woman.
My children, even the older ones, want to take part, so on April 1, the day William was born, we will go the park and do a balloon release. I'm bringing helium balloons and Sharpies - we can each write a message (or for the littles, draw a picture).
Then it's on to get our memorial tattoos. We are both getting his handprint - mine will be actual size, in black, over my heart. Just where his little hand would have rested when he was nursing. Just where I hope another little future-baby's hand will rest again some day. I fantasize about that image a lot, and hope I'm not just dreaming. M's will be his own handprint, in black, on his forearm, and William's handprint, in blue, in the center.
After that, it's dinner and cake. Yes, I know, it's not a birthday party, but I ordered a cake anyway. The tattoo place is an hour away - but fortuitously, it's right around the corner from the bakery that made our wedding cake. I am ordering a mini replica of our wedding cake for our 10 year anniversary (coming up this July) and decided to get a cake for William.
He should be smashing frosting in his hair on that day... I wonder if all that dark hair would have stayed? So many things I'll never know.
The woman who took my cake order had tears in her eyes when I handed her the copy of his little handprint, the one I wanted on the cake. They had just celebrated her daughter's first birthday. "You never know, do you?" she said, shaking her head. I used to be on that side of motherhood, I thought. I remember. How sad. How awful. How can you cope? I would just die...
Why did her daughter live and my son die? More useless questions with no real answers.
M. is making a memorial shelf for William's things - his picture, the cedar box with his ashes, etc.
And we have started trying again, after a two month break getting my body back to some sort of balance. I hope we have succeeded. I can feasibly take a test on what would have been William's first birthday. It would be so apropos... what a beautiful gift, to know I was carrying new life on that day.
And of course, a cruel joke if things go the other way. April Fool's. Again.
And as usual, there's nothing to do but let it unfold.
14 comments:
oh wow. the test thing is ahrd descision. it could be so crushing if you are not, but like you said so wonderful if you were...i dont know what you should do! his memorial sounds lovely. that is about what i want to do for Aquila's. balloons, cake and tattoos. i already have mine drawn out. it is an eagle (the meaning of her name ) with a pink lily in the center... it is so hard to run into mamas with babies the same age as ours. a few weeks ago i did, and ended up sobbing in a bathroom for an hour...
I love your ideas to honor your sweet boy. I hope you will post pictures of the tattoos. I want to get my girls' footprints on my foot someday. Wishing for a peaceful day for you all on the
1st. xx
I am considering doing a tattoo to honor my son. I have never wanted one until I lost him. I think what you are doing is perfect to honor him!!!
Hoping with you. Your tattoo idea is lovely.
xo
The tattoos sound beautiful. What a great way to remember William. And all the other ideas are lovely too.
This August we're going to do a cake for the first time. We never have before...no particular reason, it just wasn't part of the ways we remember. Now my 5 year old daughter has said that she wants a cake on her sister's birthday and wants to help making and decorating it. So, that will be part of our traditions now too.
Abiding with you as April approaches x
The first birthday/anniversary is hard. SO hard. We did a balloon release at the beach, and I loved it.
Sending you lots of love
My heart aches for you. It sounds like you have a wonderful day planned with many beautiful ways to remember your little one by.
Here's wishing for a day of peace and love.
What a beautufil day you have planned out to remember William... lots of hugs to you Dawn
So many things to remember...and so many things we are unable to forget.
Loving you my friend....XXXX
This is really inspiring to read...what an awesome and powerful way to remember your child. ((Hugs)) on this poignant day. I love that you're doing this, and it reminds me to remember these special days too, in a way that I'm comfortable with.
I know it is hard to celebrate in the midst of so much grief... But your remembrance will be a celebration of William's beautiful life. Your tattoos just brought tears to my eyes... Especially the one you are getting.
I'll be thinking of your beautiful little boy and all of you on the first.
thinking of you friend and sending you loads of love.
I'll be thinking of you and William on April 1. Daphne's 1st anniversary will follow on April 8th. I don't know how a year has gone already.......... Thinking of starting to try again. We will be planting a tree in her memory. I think the tattoo is a wonderful way to mark his day.
sending hugs,
Vanessa
Post a Comment