Friday, August 7, 2009

Messes

I went into my son's room two nights ago to get him up to pee. He's seven, and still sometimes wets the bed, so we like to get a "reassurance pee" in for him around midnight before M. and I go to bed. I'm almost always sleepy and lazy by then and if I bat my eyelashes and whine a little, M. will usually give in and do it (even if we have a somewhat worked-out schedule...) But that night, I made the trek upstairs and shook the little guy awake.

He's a deep, deep sleeper - like his mama. He's very disoriented when we wake him and will usually just roll over and go back to sleep unless we insist. I insisted, marching him to the bathroom and standing at the sink waiting - running the water for a little incentive. Finally, he peed, turned immediately  around and trudged back to his room. I didn't even make a fuss about him calling him back to wash his hands - I just quickly flushed the toilet and went to tuck him in.

I love them when they're sleeping. Even the big kids look so sweet when they're asleep... and he's still my baby. My youngest living child, now that William is gone. I snuggled up behind him for a moment, kissed him again and again indulgently the way I can only when he's sleeping now that he's a big boy, whispered my goodnights and I love you's, although I'm sure he was already out and beyond hearing me, and then went back downstairs to go to sleep.

In the morning, we woke to a flood. The toilet I had so quickly flushed had overflowed and continued running...all night long. From midnight until about seven in the morning. What a disaster... M. and I ran around, figuring out what had happened - not a burst pipe, okay, that's good; assessing the damage - one light fixture was completely ruined, and hot, so we had to turn the breaker off to that part of the house; and then of course, beginning the cleanup.

And it occurred to me, as I mopped the floor, that the night before, I'd gone to bed, thinking everything was fine. I'd gone to sleep with the image of my sweet boy in my head, lamenting how fast it was all going...and woke up to a flood. Not unlike finding out William was gone... one moment, everything was fine - sweet, even - and the next, disaster. 

But life is like that. Life is like that not just once, but over and over and over.

Still, floods I can handle. In fact, I handle them with much more patience and calmness than I ever have before. Floods are nothing. Messes? Feh! Whatever. Messes can be cleaned. At least...those kind can.

If only I could have just mopped up the mess after William died. If only it was that easy. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, life is exactly like that. it's so terrifying to realize. every little disaster i experience since Matthew died fuels my fear that next time, next time something will take one of my living children. i'm so afraid of the *next* thing.

i'm glad yours was just a flood and i too wish we could all just easily clean up the mess after our babies died. there is not one single aspect of this that is easy, is there?

ezra'smommy said...

if only...

Mackenzie's Mommy said...

Yes things that we used to freak our over seem to pale in comparison after losing our babies. If only we could all be so naive again.

xo

Mirne said...

Yes, some stuff that used to stress me, just slides off me now. I don't even blink about it any more. And yet a new element of worry and fear entered my life when Freyja died and then Kees died. I think I'd cope admirably if my house flooded!! Good on you!

Michele said...

I wish it were that easy...

Funsize said...

Hey, I'm still trying to pick myself up after falling apart when my son died. I wish there was a mop bucket, or super glue or something for us.

xoxo

Mary said...

I am only waiting to see how long it will take for me to clean this up. I have a feeling it will be a long time from now.