I know safety is an illusion. None of us are safe, ever, at any time. I imagine giving birth to a dead baby isn't the last time the universe is going to teach me that lesson. I do hope it's the biggest - but I know there are no guarantees.
Last night someone broke into our garage and stole our riding lawnmower.
Today I felt thrown back to those early, early days, the first week after William's death, when I couldn't go outside without trembling with fear, when I had to stay close to M. to feel even remotely secure. In those days, if I wasn't touching him, it felt as if I would disappear, be swallowed up by the black hole I could sense all around the edges of things.
Today, I felt that again.
I spent today locking the doors, looking over my shoulder, jumping at every noise.
This is what happens when the veil is lifted, when you get a glimpse of the man behind the curtain. Everything becomes a violation, and you are powerless in the face of it.
I'm not angry about the lawnmower. Considering my anger issues lately, that's surprising, I suppose. But when you've lost your most precious thing, everything else just pales. It's a hunk of metal machinery. Nothing. So not important.
But having the veil lifted again brings me to my knees. I was doing such a good job of pretending, a little girl at a tea party, some for you, some for me, isn't this nice? And then the world forces me under again, drowning me in helpless fear, relentless horror.
I am not safe, my children are not safe, my husband is not safe, you are not safe. Nothing is safe.
The world is a dangerous place.
How could I have forgotten, even for a moment? My own body couldn't protect one fragile, precious life. How could I think the wide expanse of the universe was going to protect me or mine? How could I have fooled myself, lulled again, like following the call of the piper, just wanting to believe?
I could pretend... or run... or hide. I could close my eyes, hold fast, and pray. I have done all of those things since William died in the face of the devastating truth that not only is the world not safe now... it never was.
Because babies were dying, even if I didn't know it. Any of the four children I have now could have died inside of me. They could die right now. The truth was out there, in here, all along. Nothing I could have done and nothing I'm doing now can defend against it.
There are no champions. There's no holding out for a hero. There are no happy endings.
The police officer who came to take our report said, "You'll never get it back."
I thought, I know.
He said, "Hard to prevent something like this."
I thought, I know.
He said, "Sometimes you just have to cut your losses."
Ouch. I thought, I know, I know.
Then he said, "Besides...how could you prove it was yours?"
And I thought... oh, believe me. I would know him anywhere.
But of course, I wasn't thinking about lawnmowers anymore.
I never was.
8 comments:
All I can say, it's a painful bite in the ass when reality bites. I'm sorry about the lawnmower, but I'd rather get your son back.
((hugs))
This is a lot of what DH are trying to cope with when it comes to TTC-- the idea that there are no guarantees, no one is safe. Just because we lost one child, doesn't exempt any others we may try to have. It sucks.
There is so much pain in your words, I can feel them. I just want to reach out and hug you. For you, for me, for all our lost babies, and all that could happen in the future. Life scares me.
Beautiful post, and so true. Nothing will ever feel totally safe again.
Man, so sorry about the lawn mower.. that sucks! I know that everything pales in comparrison.. I've also realized time and time again that just because we've experienced the worse possible loss in our lives.. that we're not safe.. I want to be able to say, at least when my children have children this won't happen to them, I've taken the pain for them..but I know they're not safe either. :(
God damn, that is the most beautiful and articulate post I've ever read about something so painful and agonizing. I've had those feelings since my son died six weeks ago and yet am desperately trying to live in the moment to appreciate the time I spend with my other son who didn't die. Yes, he could at any moment for a hundred reasons as he continues for months in the NICU but I'm desperately trying, as I hold him, to push those thoughts away and be in that moment. I used to worry constantly about things happening to my perfectly healthy (spit three times!) 14-year=old daughter and my other loved ones and I've been working on gently escorting those thoughts out of my head. But never forgetting the reality that today could be the last day for ANY of us. But probably won't be...
oh Dawn. That is a scry feeling, feeling unsafe. And knowing you can loose anyone and anything at any time and have no control over it. I'm sorry.
Somewhere in the weeks after a M was gone, we both had our bikes vandalized - a typical Lowland crime. But this seemed particularly mean-spirited - it's not like they picked off parts to steal or ruined the locks trying to make away with the bikes. Instead it was painstakingly unscrewing lightbulbs, deflating tires, burning cigarette holes in carrier bags. Just mean.
And there's something about having complete, invisible strangers be randomly mean to you when you're deep in a pit of grief that makes the world feel like it's really out to get you. That there's just no being safe, not at all.
It took awhile to put that feeling at bay - those first six months or so were thick with it. Though I still don't like being out alone. And I still triple check all the locks.
Post a Comment