Thursday, June 11, 2009

Delivery

You're not going to believe what just arrived at my door.

The day after William was born, I went online and canceled an order we'd made. M's mom had generously offered to buy the "big car seat" for us as a baby gift, but it had been back-ordered. I couldn't imagine accepting delivery of a car seat William would never use - and had no idea at the time whether or not we'd ever need such a thing again. So I emailed and canceled the order.

A week ago, I noticed a charge on our credit card. When I tracked it down, I found it was the company who we'd ordered the car seat from. I sent them a scathing email, telling them I'd canceled the order once, and insisting they reverse the charge and not ship the car seat.

They sent me an email saying they were "looking into it."

Apparently, they didn't look very hard, because the car seat showed up on my doorstep today. I knew it might happen, of course, given the non-responsiveness of this company. But I wasn't prepared. As much as you try to prepare yourself for these things, you just don't know until they happen how it's really going to feel. Even when you anticipate the hurt and the anger, it doesn't matter. It still makes you sad and angry.

It makes me want to reach through the computer and wring someone's neck. I want to call their customer service and rip someone up one side and down the other and demand refunds and reparations and free stuff and anything else I can think of that might make them realize how truly horrible it is to receive something in the mail your dead son will never use.

But we all know what I really want. And no one, let alone some third-party seller of car seats, is ever going to understand what it's like to stand here, on this side of the world, where babies don't breathe and no longer need the protection of things like car seats or their mother's arms.

11 comments:

jstrong said...

Honestly, I think you should call and rip them a new one. Really. Someone who sells baby products should be sensitive to the fact that not all babies live and when you've already cancelled the order AND called once they screwed that up, then someone there should hear about the extra pain their incompetance is causing someone who doesn't need any more pain in her life right now.

But perhaps my thinking on the matter isn't the most objective.




Do you want me to call them? I've got some anger I'm just dying to misplace :o) !

Hope's Mama said...

I'm with the above commenter, rip them a new one. I always find it helps to yell at random people sometimes. Nope, not their fault but somtimes, it is just nice to unleash on some poor innocent soul. Evil maybe, but I'm babylost so I get a free pass. We had a nappy wash service booked for six weeks before we had Hope. Thankfully, a kind friend rang to cancel it for me, before I'd even had a chance to think about it. I'm not sure what I would have done when/if those clean laundered nappies showed up on my front door step. Punched the delivery guy probably. Then called someone to scream at them. I can't imagine pre-organising anything like that for this baby. Lets just get him/her out alive first. I hate this has to be our new reality.

Mary said...

I can't believe they did that! I mean come on. You can always stop a shipment. All you have to do is track it and have it returned. I am sure people do it allnthe time. But of couse, we are not regular people anymore. You should call them. The insensitivity!

Funsize said...

I'd be mad. I'd pitch a fit and make them feel awkward. I'd say, look, I called to cancel the order well in advance, and yet you guys seem to still have screwed up. My son freakin died and that's why I canceled, yet you still sent this piece of crap to me. Get your crap together, refund the money, and pay for the shipping I'll now have to pay in order to send back this useless car seat. Thanks so much for your terrible customer service and for my inconvience.

But, that's just me. And I'm just an angry person.

((hugs))

Erin said...

Send it back. How inconsiderate of them. I'm with everyone else...and I'll for you if you want...

Unknown said...

I agree with the other commenters... CALL! YELL if it warrants.. these are the phone calls that are discussed in improving customer service skill classes. You may or may not feel a smidgen better, but you will have done a service for the others yet to join your side of the world.

So sorry for how awful that must have felt today.

Michele said...

I'd call and give them a piece of my mind. You canceled the order for a f-ing reason. They shouldnt have sent it. We forgot to cancel some things and had them arrive after our twins were born... It was excruciating. Sending you warm thoughts right now as you climb this mountain, too.

Shannon Ryan said...

wow, how horrible! I can't believe they still sent it after the email and everything! :(
About a week after Dresden was born his two beautiful slings I ordered arrived.. all I could do was hold them and sob.

R said...

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how hard it was when it showed up on your door- even knowing it could possibly be coming doesn't make it easier to receive, especially since you tried to stop it.

CLC said...

That's horrible. I think you should write a letter or something to the CEO. I wrote a scathing email to Sim.ilac after they sent me some free formula. They actually responded, appropriately I might add. If nothing else, it will let you get some anger off your chest.

John Hedtke said...

Yes. Dear One, I have nothing to add--I think everyone's summed it up neatly--but I wanted to simply say that I haven't been here due to my computer losing a battle with a lightning strike, but I wanted you to know that I have kept you in my heart every day I couldn't log in and that you're never far from my thoughts, as is certainly true for everyone else here.

Hugs and warmth to wrap your heart and soul in.

John