Today is my daughter, Z.'s, 8th birthday. It's also the two-month anniversary of William's death.
On top of that Z. is sick and can't really enjoy it. Although she's giving it the old college try! She's got a fever, but insisted on going to school, since we bought cupcakes and everything. So I loaded her up with Ibuprofen and sent her. What a horrible mom I am. Daddy delivered her cupcakes mid-day with another dose of fever-reducer, and she came home sunny and bright, but slowly wilted as another dose of medicine came due. Definitely some sort of bug.
I received some very kind words today, two months after William's stillbirth. I was amazed how many people remembered and reached out. It was really heartening.
And then... *sigh*
This past weekend, we went to my mother-in-law's for Z's bday, and my mother-in-law sent us home with two baby dolls to wrap for Z.'s b-day from her collection (she's trying to downsize) which was very nice of her.
Today, she calls. I think she's calling to either a) wish Z. happy birthday (which it's early for... they're still in school) or b) to acknowledge that it's been two months since William died.
Nope, neither.
She says she knows Z. likes the dolls you can dress up and change better than the just "sit on the shelf" kind. The two she sent home could be either, really. She suggests I go into my dead son's bedroom, find some "gender neutral" baby clothes, and give those to my daughter for her new baby dolls.
I just sat there blinking at the phone. Really? You want me to do...what?
I said, "I don't think so."
Her response? "Well... you're not using them!"
I just hung up.
19 comments:
I'm lost for words. That doesn't happen often. Hugs to you xxx
Oh. My. God. I'm glad you hung up.
That was just so wrong in so many ways. I'm always so surprised at how it can sometimes be close family members that say the stupidest, most hurtful things.
Wow. Some people just don't get it. I would have hung up on her too, right after I exchanged a few nasty words to her.
I'm so proud of you for hanging up. Remembering with you as you mark 2 months.
W. O. W. wow.
And, like she thought about this long and hard, cause she called you *later*.
What did your hubby think about that?
that is so hurtful, it hurts me to even think about it. sorry.
i'm so sorry for this hurtful call from your MIL...how insensitive, inappropriate and rude...i too am so glad you hung up....i so wish she had been calling to send her love to you and say she was thinking of william.
sending you love and thinking of william on his 2 month day.
xoxo
What in the hell? Sometimes the things people say amaze me, to the point where I don't even know what to say. I can barely look at my sons clothes, let alone give them to my daughter to dress her dolls in. I have said it 456406465 times in the past 2.5 months and I'll say it again, NO ONE understands, no one. I'm so sorry.
Happy Bday Z and happy two months precious William.
I hope that your William is with my Imani. Butterfly kisses William and Imani
That's just awful. Just awful. I truly don't understand people and their carelessness sometimes.
How bittersweet of you celebrating and mourning all together. Z's illness likely underscored the dichotomy of emotions for you yesterday. I'm so, so sorry.
wow. that's horrifying. so so glad you hung up, though. good for you. thinking of you and william and z today.
omg. i am so sorry. i cant even believe someone would say such a thing...
remembering with you...
just when you think you've heard all the stupid things people could say, you realize you haven't even touched the surface.
(((hugs and love)))
OMG that is so awful. I can't believe someone would say such a thing to you. I'm thinking of you and William. Two months seems so little but then, it seems like forever.
I tagged you in a meme!
I found your blog through Mothering, and just wanted to to tell you how sorry I am about the loss of your beautiful boy Wiliam. Much love and healing to you. You and your family will be in my thoughts and heart.
Good for you for hanging up. You don't have to listen to someone be so callous about your loss.
Oh.My.God. I have no words.
Oh my, I am so sorry. Good for you for hanging up and not putting up with behavior like that.
Thinking of you and William.
Post a Comment