Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dear Dad...

Dear Dad,

I'm not glad you're gone... but I am glad you weren't here in this place to experience the loss of the grandchild we named after you.

And part of me hopes that my sisters are right, that there is some "other place" ... some version of heaven... where maybe you did get to see him first, and you are holding him now.

But I still wish I was holding him here... that we both were.

I wish I had something to hold onto, still. Losing both of you in the space of six weeks should have been enough to kill me. Sometimes I wish it had.

Remembering you both on Father's Day...

3 comments:

Michele said...

I'll close my eyes and see William in his grandfather's arms, as I see our children in their grandparents' arms. They will hold them until we are there to have them with us again, dear one... This I know. There is nothing else I can be certain of, but this... This has to be true...

Christie said...

oh dawn, i'm so terribly sorry that you lost both your dad and your baby in such a short period of time. what a blow you were dealt.

christie

Funsize said...

My grandmother passed away long before Collin was even concieved, but when my cousin (who lived with my grandparents when my grandmother was sick) heard about Collin's death, he said that my grandmother was holding him until we got there.

I think your father is holding him and rocking him for you, until you see him again, too.

(hugs mama)