I didn't mind babies at first. Pregnant women either. I saw my neices' babies during the first holiday (Easter) just weeks after we lost William, and I was fine. It didn't bother me. I didn't begrudge them their babies. I didn't want their babies - I wanted my baby. If I couldn't have William, nothing else mattered. I could hold someone else's baby forever and it wouldn't make a difference. That baby wasn't William, and William is who I wanted.
But now... now babies bother me. They bother me a lot. I took D. to wrestling today and there were two babies there, one a little younger than William would be right now, one just a little older. I was surprised by the wave of sadness that overcame me as I stood there looking down at someone else's baby sucking on his little hand in his carseat. That should have been me - although my baby probably would have been in a sling, and I would have been trying to figure out how to discreetly breastfeed in the midst of a room full of wrestling boys instead of bottle feeding... but still.
I should have a baby, and I don't. I really don't. There's no going back, no do-overs. I will never ever get that time back. And I stood there, looking at that baby's chubby little feet, wondering what William would look like now - another thing I'll never know - and I realized how angry I was. He almost made it - someone wrote that in a letter to my husband the other day, and the phrase made my heart just ache. He almost made it! It's like running a marathon, getting two inches to the finish line and then falling down dead of a heart attack.
Oh the irony. The horrible, bitter irony. Every time I think about it, I feel like I'm chewing on tinfoil. It leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.
So I stood there at the wrestling practice looking at other people's babies, filled with jealousy and longing, and I realized I didn't want William anymore - I wanted a baby. Somehow the awareness had finally settled into my consciousness that I could never, would never, hold William again. He was really gone from me, forever. I don't know that I'd ever wholly accepted that fact, or realized I had, until that moment. And of course, if someone came in and slapped me on the back, laughing and saying, "Just kidding! Here's your baby! Here's William, it was just a joke!" I'd take him back in a heartbeat. It's a fantasy I've unconsciously entertained, I'm sure.
But my son is dead. There's no monkey's paw to make wishes on. He is ash and bone and memory.
And still, my womb aches. I want another baby. I can't have William, I can't ever replace William, but the longing for another baby is agonizing. It's so great I can barely stand it. I keep thinking of those fibromyalgia commercials - have you seen them? "If I looked how I felt, then would you believe me?" If my face and body reflected my pain and longing, I'd be writhing on the floor, screaming in agony.
So while before, facing a baby didn't bother me because I wanted William, who couldn't be brought back to life, no matter what I or anyone wanted or did... now, looking at someone else's baby reminds me not of the unrecoverable past, but of the potential future... of the possibility of some future child, someone not yet here, someone waiting to be born. It reminds me of my empty womb, my empty arms. It reminds me that I've lost one and don't yet have another.
Maybe this feeling will ebb a little, when I get two lines on a pregnancy test. Even knowing what I know, that there are no guarantees... I want to feel alive. I want life growing in my womb again. I want to share my body and my life with someone new, some unknown but so very wanted and already loved presence, some impossibly beautiful and mysterious conglomeration of our genetic soup cooking in my belly.
I don't know. Maybe I'm being selfish. I don't think this is the month, although I'm 9-10 days past ovulation and due to start cycling again in two to four days, if I don't get a positive test, anyway. Frankly, I'm feeling discouraged and I don't think a + test is likely. Aside from all the pre-period symptoms I'm having, I think the universe just doesn't think it's time.
The universe has pinned me and now just seems to think turning the screws - making me wait 11 weeks for my cycles to return, forcing me to sit in a room with other people's newborns, and this time, most likely, a negative pregnancy test right out of the gate - yeah, that will teach me, that will really send the message home.
I'm not in control. It's not up to me.
Thanks for the reminders, universe.
Thanks a lot.
9 comments:
I feel like I ran past the finish line, and everyone was screaming at me to stop, then she died. Either way, it is true, we were so damn close, so damn close.
I'm thinking of you Dawn, and hoping like crazy this month is the one. TTC after a stillbirth is a bitch. Hang in there, somehow....
I went through the same thing when Calvin died. I was fine with other babies, I had another baby, his twin in fact. I never wanted to face another loss again. I had my tubes tied and now I want nothing more than another baby, a baby boy. I love my girls more than anything but I ache to have a baby boy of my own. I hate how all this works, how unfair it is and how fucking angry I get. It seems to me that someone who has already experienced loss should automatically get another chance to have that baby that they've always wanted, that dealing with messed up cycles, infertility or yet another loss should not even be a question because it's so hideously unfair. Screw whoever makes the rules and decides what's what. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this now too...Hugs
In the beginning, I just wanted Nicholas and Sophia (and later, Alexander) and I couldnt think of another baby. I didnt want to see them, smell them, hear them, or see pregnant women either. I just wanted my babies:in my womb, in my arms, alive again, breathing again, safe. After a while, I realized, in a horrible wake-up-from-the-nightmare sort of way, I realized that would never happen. I wouldnt get that chance. And then, I was just so cold inside... Seeing a baby was just a reminder of what I didnt have... couldnt have... could never, ever have back.
Pregnancy doesnt fix it. I think that is the hardest thing that most people who have never lost a child dont realize. Pregnancy with a new baby doesnt give you the one(s) you lost back. It doesnt give you a semblence of peace that things will be "okay this time" because you know what could go terribly wrong.
In the perfect world, we would have all our babies and still be on the journey to conceive more... God, how I wish this were a perfect world.
Sending you warm thoughts tonight...
I had a hugs dose of other people's babies tonite, and it makes me sad and see what I don't have.
I want another chance too.
(Fingers crossed for you BFP)
Dawn, I'm not where you're at in terms of being ready to TTC, but I do understand that feeling of EVEN THOUGH I know pregnancy is another risk, I too want another life growing inside. I not only want the pink baby at the end, I want the joy of telling my husband that we did it, we created another life out of love. I want it so bad.
I'm sorry you don't think this is the month.
You reached out to me in my very darkest hour and I love you for that. I will rejoice when I hear that you are expecting another little miracle. I hope that it is very, very soon.
Hugs,
Christie
Michele is right ... pregnancy doesn't fix it.
When you're TTC, getting a positive is all you focus on. Once you get your positive, you fear the worst every single day ... 9 months is a BLOODY LONG TIME.
Then, even if you're lucky enough to make it to the finish and get your baby, you suddenly remember that you're still NOT IN CONTROL.
The universe can be a very sucky, dark place.
How strange.. again I have to say I love the similar thoughts we all go through.. I swear I had a blog post months ago called something like 'babies, babies, everywhere!' THEY WERE! I knew 10 women (close friends or relatives) who had babies in 2008.. ALL GIRLS, my Dresden was the only boy (which helped a little) a good chunk of the babies were born between October and December.. so very close in age. The first time I saw one was October 22nd, my sister's birthday party.. I didn't know how I'd react.. it wasn't good. I couldn't go in the same room.. I high tailed it to the bathroom and sobbed.. my mom came in and cried with me.. it's the only real bad event I had with a baby. Since then I can be around babies, but I really don't love it. I look at them, and smile.. but those old feelings of just lovin' babies isn't there.. I wonder if it will ever return? Shaun told me one time that I can't 'shun' the babies.. he can fake it, I can't! he can hold babies, I can't! He can coo, and make googly eyes, I just can't.. and I don't want to! I remember when I came to the realisation that it wasn't Dresden I wanted anymore.. it was the next baby. It was hard to realize that, but also wonderful! I hope your rainbow baby comes to you quickly Dawn. For me it has continued the healing process so very much!
This really got to me, I totally feel you. Except I still want Leila. It is exactly 8 weeks since I gave birth to her and although I know that I Cannot Ever have her back, I still want Her. I don’t know how to get over my longing for her. And even though I know that another baby will not replace her, I still want so desperately to be pregnant again, to have that life growing in my belly. I went to the zoo two days ago and I was overwhelmed with the desire for another baby. It was horrible. All those babies and pregnant women and children running around….. my Leila should have been there with me. I really hope that you get your rainbow baby next cycle. Sending you warm wishes….
I feel the same way- he almost made it. He should have made it. Why didn't he make it? I still can't wrap my head around it. Somedays, in my heart I feel like I'll wake up pregnant again, feeling my son's hiccups, and it was all a bad dream. And then reality hits and it feels like I got hit by a train. I don't know if I'll ever be able to wrap my head around why he didn't make it.
((hugs))
Post a Comment