Monday, July 13, 2009

Hovering

I've never been a helicopter parent - you know, the kind that hover around their kids constantly, making sure nothing bad ever happens? I've been pretty okay with letting the kids learn by making their own mistakes, falling down, getting scrapes.

And I don't hover even now... but I do push my inner panic button a lot faster than I ever used to.

A few days ago we went to a picnic, and the kids were off playing with all the others on the equipment, in the sandbox. At eight and almost-seven, they're pretty self-sufficient in those situations. We give them clear boundaries, and they've learned over the years to respect them. So when I did my every-five-minute cursory look-over of the playground and couldn't find my son, I didn't panic. I just kept looking, my eyes sweeping over the playscape, the sandbox, looking for his striped shirt. 

"Honey, have you seen D.?" I asked my husband. Was my voice as scared as I felt? My heart was beating fast now, visions of him being snatched dancing in my head. Before William died, thoughts like that might occur to me - but the physical reaction, the sheer panic rising in my throat within moments of discovering him missing, that was new. Because now I knew - we weren't in some plastic bubble. Bad things happened, and they could, indeed, happen to us. They could, in fact, happen to us again... and again.

My husband stood up, doing what I'd done, scanning the park, his brow furrowed, and I knew I'd pushed his panic button, too. We both have hair-triggers lately. 

"No," he replied after a moment, shaking his head. "Where did you see him last?" 

Last... the last time I saw him. That phrase made me turn cold. It couldn't possibly be, and yet the fear catches you, freezes you, makes it hard to breathe, like sucking in broken glass. Please, god, let there never be a "last time" I see my child, ever again, unless I'm the one whose number is up, okay? 

A friend of ours started looking too, sensing my panic, I think, and my husband took three steps toward the playground before he stopped, pointing, "There he is!" as my son stepped out from behind the huge tree trunk that had hidden him from our view. Oh my god, the relief. I sagged against the picnic table, my heart still in my throat. 

"Like I need another thing, right?" I joked to my friend. 

She smiled sympathetically and nodded. "Right."

But I knew better... I didn't get a free pass. Just because one child was dead didn't mean I couldn't lose another one. 

Then, last night, the girl-child was playing with her brother's Legos and decided to try to take one of the pieces off with her teeth. Suddenly she stood up, her face a mask of fear: "I can't breathe!" she choked and then nothing... 

My husband and I both lunged for her at once and she coughed and gasped and spit a yellow Lego brick into her hand, "I got it!" 

M. yelled, "If you ever put anything like that in your mouth again, I'll kill you myself!" 

He was scared, and I think trying to scare her a little. But he didn't need to scare her - she was already pretty scared. He didn't really need to scare any of us. We don't need events like that, anymore, to tip the scales. We're already scared, all the time. We're the walking horrified. The risk is real, too real, the fear beating like a pulse at our throats. We check on each other more often, get panicked when we're home late or things happen that are out of the ordinary and out of our control.

William taught us that life is both precious and precarious. And still, I wish we'd never had to learn that lesson. I wish William were still alive and we were still blissfully ignorant, solid in our belief in that invisible force field surrounding us that never really existed. I don't know if William is watching - it's a nice thought, but I don't quite really believe it, just as I no longer have faith that we're all gonna be okay. It would be sweet to think he's an angel protecting us now... but that thought goes logically out the window for me when I wonder... where was his angel, then? What lazy-ass slacker angel was on watch the day William died, huh? I'd like to get my hands on that fella...

So no... I'm not sure we have an angel watching over us in the form of my infant son. But I am sure that we don't take each other for granted in the same way we used to. Life's moments are bittersweet now but we taste them fully, appreciate them a great deal more. And our eyes and ears are sharp, tuned in to danger, as much as they can be. Even knowing we're not in control. Even knowing we can't always prevent tragedy.

I don't know if William's spirit is here and hovering over us. Sometimes I wish it were true. Days when my children defy the laws of physics or nearly send me into heart failure, I wish I could rely on some guardian angel protecting us. But I can't know that. 

There may or may not be someone or something looking out for us, I don't know. It's the not knowing that keeps me watchful and wary. It's the not knowing that pushes my panic buttons. Because if there are such forces, well... there was clearly no one on watch when William died. Someone fell asleep at the switch and my son paid the price. It's hard to rely on such arbitrary protection. I'd rather keep my eyes and ears open and do what I can... even if it's not enough.

And hold my children close. I've been doing a lot of that lately. We all hold each other tighter these days. A lot tighter.

14 comments:

Fireflyforever said...

I hold my two so much closer too - and they hold me closer too. When Emma died, some of my faith died too. I don't know quite how that will pan out yet, the dust is still settling but it's scary to parent each day and not know if there is something bigger than me protecting my children. I used to believe that profoundly now I believe it begrudgingly and half-heartedly.

Anonymous said...

i don't know either. my friends and family all seem so certain about the afterlife so i try to let that comfort me but i don't know...

i had one of those panicky moments last week at the river. i couldn't see one of my boys for a few minutes and i just KNEW that he was dead too, that i was being punished again.

Michele said...

I think William watches over you guys... Always there, always with you.

I, too, wish we were ignorant of how precious and precarious life is. How I wish that.

Shannon Ryan said...

I think all of us hold everyone dear a little tighter.. I always thought I was pretty lucky... immune in a way to bad things happening. Who knows why I felt that way? I don't now.. bad things happen and even to me - who's to say more bad things won't come my way? I just hope that I never experience the loss of a child again! I hope that for ALL OF US!!

Hope's Mama said...

I don't believe we have anyone watching over us either, because where the eff were they in August last year?

Ya Chun said...

precious and precarious. spot on

Catherine W said...

I'm sorry that you've had some scary moments lately. You don't need another thing.

"Because now I knew - we weren't in some plastic bubble" and "Just because one child was dead didn't mean I couldn't lose another one."
Yup, those two keep me up at nights. Life is all too precious and precarious.

I'm not sure what the result of losing my first child will be on my parenting. Sometimes I know that I am a helicopter, hovering above her. I find it harder to be without her than she finds it to be without me. Other times, I feel so fatalistic that I swing the other way. I couldn't protect her sister, how on earth can I protect her. And I can't. I can take every sensible precaution going but I can't protect her from everything. It sucks.

I think that I do appreciate life more fully now, in all its terrible unpredictability.

I don't think that I believe in guardian angels either. But I do believe that William will always be with your family, some part of him persists. In your love for him. In your memories of him.

Mirne said...

Life is precious ... oh yes, I'm well aware of that.

I never wanted to be a hovering mama, and when I was pregnant with Kees, I was determined not to be. I might have succeeded if he had lived. As it is, he didn't. So I suspect (indeed I think I'm certain of it) that I shall be a hovering mama if this third child lives.

I don't believe anyone is watching over us. I believed it when I was pregnant with Freyja, and I still believed it when Kees was in NICU hooked up to those machines. We prayed and prayed and prayed, but no-one was listening. He died.

Life is precious. We are never "safe". Bad things can happen anytime. That destruction of innocence means that we'll never get a relaxed moment again.

((hugs))

ezra'smommy said...

Holding all this knowledge of the precariousness of life is such a burden. None of us will ever be the same.

Anonymous said...

I hear you. Ava ran away from me in a clothes shop the other day. She almost made it out the front door before a shop assistant grabbed her. I was furious with her - I don't think she'd ever seen me like that. The thing that shocked me the most though was the panic in my voice as I shouted for her to stop. I sounded like someone who had gone over the edge.

forward tumble said...

What lazy-ass slacker angel was on watch the day William died, huh? I'd like to get my hands on that fella...

Must have been the same lazy-ass slacker who was on watch in June 08.

That comment of yours did make me laugh. I hate to admit it, but yeah, it did. I don't know what I believe. I feel believing in anything more than in the cycle of life and the magic of life in all it's beauty is a massive big stretch of the imagination, which, though it is comforting at times, is hard, hard work. Sometimes I want to believe, but I do have similar logic loops that make the entire concept just outright cruel. So I try to keep it simple.

Hold each other tight, you have each other, thankfully.

xx Ines

Funsize said...

I always "see" my son as a little baby, about 4 or 5, playing and being mischievous with his great great grandfather, up in heaven. That's the thought I like to think. But in reality, I have no idea where my son is- I don't feel his spirit anymore. As for my son being an angel, I don't believe he's watching over us, or helping my future babies along the pregnancy, because like you, who was there to help him along the way?

Family is all we have, and we never know how long we'll have it. Hold tight to each other, you're all you guys have.

sending my love to you momma.

Michelle said...

I'd like to think that William is in some way watching over your family Dawn, but I know how easily scared you must be now. I have always been a panic-y person and I used to always fear the worse even as a child when my parents would arrive home later than they said they would. Then I lost my only sister 4 years ago and have gotten to experience the fear I always had when someone was running late and/or not answering their cell phones, etc. Life sure can be tough, ((hugs)). I am the brand new mama of a 3 monrh old (I'm michanders from MDC from your DDC) and I can only hope that I not too much of a hovering Mama.

Monica said...

Beautiful post. Thanks for sharing this story.