If you don’t know about or haven’t heard of reborn dolls… well, there’s a wiki for everything isn’t there?
According to Wikipedia, “reborning,” as it’s called, started back in the 1990’s. At first, they used already-created vinyl dolls, stripped them down (took off all the paint) and then painted them again, rooted hair, and created a doll that looked incredibly lifelike and real. Nowadays, artists actually create pre-made doll kits, which include the vinyl doll head, arms and legs, and a soft body to be stuffed, that are designed to be “reborn.”
Here’s a picture of a reborn doll.
There is a very large market for these dolls among collectors, although if you look at the comments here, there’s also a lot of controversy. Lots of people clearly think they’re creepy and “wrong.” The media coverage has focused a great deal on people who use reborns for emotional or therapeutic purposes. Those people, usually, who have experienced some sort of infant loss, or perhaps struggle with infertility.
In my former life, even as a psychologist, I think I would have judged this as morbid and even a little unhealthy. Of course, that was before I had a dead baby.
From the outside looking in, I can still feel the judgment, even my own. But when I saw a reborn for the first time, I knew I had to have one of William. I didn’t know why I felt so strongly… and I struggled with the feeling. Was I crazy? Would I turn into one of those sad women who carry around a fake baby everywhere?
I talked about it with M, who was, thank god, totally supportive. I’m so loved. :) I also talked about it with a girlfriend, who collects reborns. (Okay, so maybe she was a little biased…) But she reminded me that if we still lived in close community or in tribal cultures, I’d be holding other mamas’ babies all the time, probably even nursing them, and it would be part of the mourning process.
My arms ached to hold a baby. And if I couldn’t have William… of course, I couldn’t… why not have a facsimile I could rock and cry over now and then? Something tangible to remember him by?
So I started looking into it, doing research, and found an artist (Marilyn Kangas of "Miss Marilyn's Orphanage) who had experience doing "memory" or "portrait" reborns. Basically, you submit pictures of the baby you want “reborn” and then together you look for kits/sculpts. The reborn artist suggested some, and I looked for some myself, searching for the best sculpt to match William. I found one, with the eyes closed, that I thought was very close. I spent hours comparing the pictures side by side, and meticulously chose this one.
But it wouldn’t be available for two months (it was still in production.) Still, I decided to wait. Because it reminded me so much of the pictures we have of William.
So now I was in it for not one, but two reborn dolls of my dead baby. Was I crazy!?
The artist was totally understanding… she ordered the eyes-open kit and started on that one right away. She sent me pictures of the progress as things went along, and I chose his eye and hair color.
There are all sort of extras you can purchase with these dolls - things like beating hearts, a magnet inserted so baby can have a pacifier, a spine, a "squishy belly" that feels more real, a belly or bottom "plate" for posing for pictures (reborns generally have soft suede bodies which makes for better cuddling.) They also have voice boxes, breathing mechanisms, heat packs, magnetic umbilical cords... it’s amazing.
The artist took about a month to finish the eyes-open sculpt, and it was just in time – the eyes-closed sculpt had just come in. She had intended to send them both to me at once, but I couldn’t wait, and had her ship him.
Here he is, home in my arms:
I have a slideshow of pictures I took, but they honestly can't do this doll justice.
You truly have to experience it. My husband and my oldest son (fifteen) were just wide-eyed at how real he looks and feels. (I could barely get him away from my eight year old daughter!) He is totally like holding a real baby. I felt weird leaving him alone in a room, he's so real-looking and feeling. I actually ordered a (much much cheaper) reborn on Ebay for my daughter so she could have her own to carry around. But already, so much healing has happened just in the time she's held our reborn William.
I know it's not for everybody... and I know lots of folks both in and out of the loss community might think it's creepy... but I'm glad I did it. I've already done a bit of mourning with him, and I imagine I will do a great deal more. It's almost shamanic in a way... very symbolic.
My friend who collects them warns that they're addictive! They actually use them therapeutically with folks who experience anxiety and depression... and artists have donated them to senior centers, too... just holding a reborn can lower the heart rate and calm your breathing and it releases natural oxytocin and seratonin in the brain.
I look at this reborn, and I know it’s not William, but just a memory doll. But my fears definitely resurfaced when I saw him. I wondered if I wouldn't be able to resist him, constantly, that I would project all of my feeling about William onto him, that I would pretend it really was William and that William wasn't dead.
But the truth is I don't find myself doing that. What I do find is that it brings William back into focus for me. Over time, I've found William fading around the edges, and I hate "losing" him like that.
I think the less we remember over time, the less we will be able to remember, at least that's been my experience so far. I can still recall William and my memories of him, but they're nowhere near as clear as they were, and I know they're going to fade even more.
My mother lost a child - it was before I was born, and my sister was three when she tried to cross between two parked cars and was hit and killed. So a few weeks ago, we were talking about William and she said, "I got lucky with you kids, really." I was just stunned by that. "But Mom, what about D.?" She was quiet. "Well... I mean... all of the rest of you survived." Again, I said, "But Mom, how can you say you're lucky, if you lost one? There are women who have eight kids and get to keep them all. That's lucky... losing one... that's not so lucky."
I think she just forgot her for a minute, or maybe she didn't want to remember.
But I don't want to do that. I don't want William to ever not be a part of our family and not be remembered. That's all I have of him is that memory, and if this little doll will help me keep him close in my heart, it's so worth it to me. I know there are lots of women who wouldn't "need" it... I've heard some say they don't even want or need pictures, that the memory of their baby is clear as day and won't ever fade.
But I think because of my mom and watching her dealing with the loss of her child the way she has, I'm defended against that sort of forgetting or denial. I want every bit and piece of him I can manage to hold onto. I don't want to do it the way my mom does, and if I have things that are physical and tangible, it will be harder to push away like she does.
Now, if I need to, I can pick this doll up and remember him exactly, down to the weight of him in my arms and the cradle of his soft, downy head in my hand. And it's a comfort to know he's here, just like having his urn here in my room. I have a little doll cradle he now "sleeps" in at night next to the bed, and it's really kind of calming to look over in the morning and see him there.
Crazy as it all sounds in this "new normal" world...
I know I would have passed judgment on me at one time. But once you’ve held your dead baby in your arms, your new normal doesn't differentiate anymore. The "line" you thought you wouldn’t cross just doesn't exist. I'm the crazy woman who was desperate to run from the funeral home with my baby, dead as he was, I could have cared less. I think we all know, once we've held the lifeless bodies of our babies in our arms, that the line between what's "okay" and what isn't just isn’t clear.
Having some tangible thing to remind me of William is what always sends me immediately back into the grip of grief. Sometimes I open the tiny little Ziploc bag of his hair and I can still smell him, and when I touch his hair... I know, he was real, he was here. It's the tangible things, the stuff I can see and smell and touch, that bring him back to me.
This reborn is that, for me. Not a way to bring William back, but a way to keep his memory, to bring it back to me when I need it - not the rebirth of my baby, which is impossible, but the rebirth of my memory...a sweet and longed-for touchstone.










16 comments:
YES, the rebirth of your memory. i understand completely. i want one of these more and more but i'm still analyzing if i could do the same differentiating that you are doing. i think i will give it a week or two before deciding (and begging dh). oh, and i have that same bracelet with matthew's name on it too.
my mom lost a baby too but she really grieved her; we actually grieved together as i was a teenager. we read the same stillbirth books and discussed her lost baby samantha ALL THE TIME. now my grandma lost a couple of babies but she handled it just like your mom did. so sad... and i cant imagine the pain of avoiding the memory. i know they do it to "protect" themselves but it just seems that it would cause more pain in the end. *shrug*
Honestly, if you already are afraid you might do the "crazy lady thing" - the odds are, you won't. It's kind of like the axiom, if you think you're crazy, you're probably not? :)
(((my dear sweet friend)) I was crying reading this. I don't care what anyone thinks of this. this was right for you and your family.
peace to all of you....
I can't get over how real these dolls look! He's very sweet Dawn. and as Michelle said, it doen't matter what is right for another family... you have to do what's right for yours.
I don't think this is for me, but then I can't be sure. As you say, "normal" takes on a whole new meaning these days. I night have to revisit this post in weeks, months or years to come to see how my feelings change on this one. Who knows where I will end up.
Most importantly though, I'm glad your William doll is bringing you peace and comfort. This was a lovely post.
Might, that is!!
((((hugs)))) I don't know what I think about reborn dolls, but it doesn't matter - - - what matters is that your experiences with reborn William is helping your family heal. Peace.
It's beautiful. I'm torn about how I feel about it/him however. Seeing how lifelike your reborn doll is makes me want one in Calvin's likeness. However, I don't know if it would heal me or make me more consumed with my son's death. Something to think about for sure.
yes, our new normal is definitely different from the old... and we have to do the things that are right for us. While the reborn dolls are not for me, I think it is great that you've found this to help your healing. And, anyone who tells you that you are trying to "replace" William with a doll, has obviously never lost a child. Do what is best for you and negative comments be damned.
I think that if this works for you (and from the tone of your voice I can tell it does) then it's the right thing for you to do. I don't think it's unhealthy. You are grieving, all of you are. Those pictures of your kids with William's doll are beautiful. You can see that they get this, that this is good for them too.
I completely agree about the not forgetting. I refuse to forget too. I don't believe that moving on has to be without my baby girl.
I don't know that the doll is something I will pursue but I suspect that has a lot more to do with having my daughter with me for six months. You didn't get that six months, you didn't get anything, and I can so see how having a baby to hold, that looks like your William can give you much comfort and keep his memory alive for you.
Maybe the non-babylost wont think this is a good thing. But I certainly do. The photos of your kids with William's doll made me smile, and so does the tone of your voice. You sound comforted and I think that is wonderful.
Thinking of you,
xx
I think that anything that can give you the peace and comfort that your William doll brings is a wonderful thing for you and your family. xx
They did such a great job on your reborn William. The pictures of your children with him show how much they love and miss him. And it makes me sad that they have been cheated too. But the pictures also show that this will help them with their greif. It sounds like this is going to help you as well. And anything that does that is definitely worth it. Just last night I told E, "I want to hold Lukas". I too am not ready for this yet. But I will definitely think about it; if just to be able to hold him.
William's memory doll is just beautiful. They have really captured a likeness of him. The pictures of your other children with William's memory doll are lovely. Heartbreaking and comforting at the same time. xx
I couldn't believe this was a doll!! Oh I am so tempted to do this...but my DH would ship me off for sure. I slept with a onesie the week my son died, and he totally thought I'd lost it. I say do whatever it is that helps you cope and heal. I've considered a bear made of stillborn Alpaca fur (there's a local farm here) to place Logan's asshes in. But I've found myself tip-toing around trying so hard not to seem like a crazy person...my DH thought that was a little too much too. Sigh.
Your reborn is beautiful, just like William. I like that idea, to have something with weight, something tangible, to have as a reminder. Sure, I have jewelry for my son's memory, but that's more for people to see, to ask about my son, so I can talk about him and keep his memory alive for people. I'd love to have a reborn doll, but my husband is one of those people who think it's creepy.
I can't believe how real and so cute your reborn is.
"This reborn is that, for me. Not a way to bring William back, but a way to keep his memory, to bring it back to me when I need it - not the rebirth of my baby, which is impossible, but the rebirth of my memory...a sweet and longed-for touchstone."
This is the perfect reason for you to have a reborn William. So well said, and you can tell it's from your heart! I've not experienced a loss like yours but it makes a lot of sense that it could be healing for some to help keep that memory alive just as a picture only hugable. Hoping the reborn is helping your healing journey for you and your family. ((hugs))
Post a Comment