Thursday, April 23, 2009

Blame Game

There have been times I've listened to my intuition. When M. had an abscessed tooth a few years ago, the dentist told us, "You might see some swelling in the jaw in the next few days." We were waiting a week, for insurance to kick in, for him to get the root canal, and he was on antibiotics. But that whole week, as the swelling got worse and M. got sicker, I kept thinking something was wrong. The dentist told us to go to the hospital by Monday, if the swelling hadn't gone down, for IV antibiotics. Sunday night, we were going to bed, and I said, "We're going to the hospital now."

That little intuitive voice spoke up and said, "Go now." We were going the next day anyway. M. looked at me like I was nuts. But that voice kept saying, nownownownownownow. So I listened. I insisted. We're going. NOW. And we did. 

Later, the doctors told us that the flesh-eating bacteria he had would have killed him in just a few more hours. I would have woken up next to a dead husband. The infection was 1/4 inch from his carotid artery.

You'd think I would have learned. Following my intuition=good. Not following intuition=bad. Still, I doubt. I look to other people to validate what I'm feeling. I don't trust myself. I told my midwife, "This really isn't my pattern. I think something's wrong. This isn't normal." But she normalized it all for me. Dismissed what I was feeling as just a pregnant mama's irrational fears. I listened to her instead of that little voice.


I can't seem to stop playing this blame game. And I know, it's hubris. I'm not in control, it's not up to me. As much as I'd like it to be. 

I shared the above story with a friend (she knows who she is ;) ) who sent me the following in response:

As mothers, we create and nurture and hold life within us and so we think we really hold the power to life or death within ourselves. We are uniquely qualified to torment ourselves when we can't sustain it because after all, we created it. I'm not religious, but I know by now there is so much more to it than that and it is very rarely truly within our power to control it. We just have enough consciousness to sense that it could have been , should have been , and this gives us just enough rope to hang ourselves with. Don't stick your neck in the noose. Don't take the blame. Your instincts saved your husband, and like any other mother, I'm sure there are dozens of incidents where they've saved your other children over the years. If your baby was able to be saved, they would have saved him, too. I know you can't see it this way right now, but I hope you'll try. No mother should try to bear that blame for something she had no control over.

I know. I know. Logically, I know. *sigh*

I'm going to paste this up somewhere I can see it every day

Because I really, really want to believe it. Truly believe it, and not just tell it to myself to make it all better, or cover up the pain or guilt or regret.

9 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

You are not alone in this. I did exactly the same thing as you. And I am eight months out, and the guilt still eats away at me daily. I will always blame myself on some level, but mostly my midwives who, like yours, told me to relax and that everything was normal, when everything in my body was screaming out at me, "this is not normal - get to hospital now". Your friend's response was amazing. Perhaps I need to stick that up somewhere prominent too?
Lots of love to you.

Shannon Ryan said...

I'd be surpised if any one of us mothers did not feel this way at some point. Every day it seems I go over and over the events in my head.. . I decided early on that I would not blame myself - it's hard to not, I mean.. when a baby is living inside of you and dies inside of you and you don't even know!? You feel like you should have at least SOME control of the situation.. I'm not religious, so I don't even have a 'higher power' to blame for taking MY baby! What I do have is a whole list of other mommas in my same situation, and I realize that I can't blame myself, none of us can - we all KNOW, so deeply that if there was ANY WAY for our babies to be here.. they would! So, we can't beat ourselves up for not saving them.. it's hard, but nothing in this journey is easy, is it? Your friend said it beautifully by the way!

R said...

I'm so sorry. It's been over a year for me and the self-blame has subsided a little but I'm still working on the forgiveness (and you're right, it is necessary for me :)). I'd asked about the lack of movement a week before we lost Levi- I listened to my doctor instead of myself too. I didn't know to demand a non-stress test... I blame myself but mainly I blame the doctor... but I also know I have to try to let that go too. If I let it, the what ifs and whys would destroy me- and I still wouldn't have Levi back. I think your friend gave you very wise counsel- if we could do anything to be holding William and Levi we would do it in a heartbeat! I know the head and heart don't always mesh together in these times though... (((hugs)))

jstrong said...

I think I'm going to have to print that quote out and read it regularly, too.

I have the same problem, it seems like every time I ignore my intuition, I'm sorry. The problem for me is where is the line between intuition and fear? Do I only remember the times my intuition was right and I didn't follow it and not the times it was wrong and I didn't follow it? You say your midwife dismissed your concerns, I think my midwives barely got the chance because I was so busy dismissing my own concerns as "a pregnant mama's irrational fears." Or, more specifically, a pregnant ex-NICU-nurse mama's irrational fears. I mean, I brought up my concerns with my midwives, but down-played them, or couched them in terms like, "This is probably totally normal, but..."

Of course, I kick myself now. Of course, I am angry at myself for not having voiced my fears as loudly and often as I felt them. And, as I've said before, for me hindsight colors everything I remember from that time. I remember feeling more afraid and less reassured than I think I actually did.

I hope I can get to a point where I really *feel* that I did the best I could with the information I had. I know it, intellectually, but I don't feel it, yet.

Inanna said...

"I know it, intellectually, but I don't feel it, yet."

Yes. That's it exactly. And I did what you did, too... "I know they slow down at the end, but..." I downplayed my fears, too. I don't blame my midwife...but I do still blame myself, at least on a feeling level, if not an intellectual one. Mother-guilt is powerful stuff. :(

Fireflyforever said...

"Mother-guilt is powerful stuff." That is so very, very true. I've had moments of profound guilt - and also some moments where I have felt guilty for not feeling more guilty :(

aliza said...

oh i so relate to this blame game. like all the mamas above, i've done it so much too and still do. why didn't i listen to myself? i knew he wasn't moving very much? but my midwife also reassured me and i heard that it is common for them to move less and he never was a big mover...round and round these thoughts go over and over in my mind. it's so hard. what if i had gone to the hospital earlier? could i have saved him? and here we are and all we can do is have compassion on ourselves for trying our best and remembering that we do not really have control over our own body and the body growing in our body

missing_one said...

You'll get there hon. Just be patient. I think the hardest part I have had to learn was that I really don't have control over a lot of things I used to think I did.

*hugs*

Dalene said...

Wow, you have a very wise friend. It helps me to see those words, too.

The guilt and self-blame can eat you alive, but it's part of the process, I guess. Some of it continues to linger for me. It is so very hard to let go and let myself off the hook. Someone told me that if I had known what to do to get my baby out alive, I would have done it in a heartbeat. But I didn't know--no one did. I try to remember that to get me through.