Monday, April 27, 2009

Out of Nowhere

Things come out of nowhere.

We went out to dinner and had a pretty good time. I didn't cry, even behind my menu, at the restaurant. It felt almost "normal" to be out, among people, again. We even took the kids to get ice cream. I could almost have convinced myself that I felt...not happy. Not that. But...okay. Functioning. Able to breathe without too much effort and pain.

Then, on the way home, Harry Chapin's Cats in the Cradle came on the radio, and M. and I were both in tears by the time we pulled into our driveway.

Things like that, they come out of nowhere and punt you right back.

***

M. read my blog for the first time in weeks yesterday. And if I say that I'm angry and resentful that he hasn't been reading it all along - would it matter? It will be weeks before he reads this, if he ever does. I'm trying to be understanding, I'm trying to make sense of his process of grief, and taking the advice everyone seems to give - "Be gentle with yourself, be kind to one another." I'm trying. But trying hardly ever works. (Ask Yoda...)

And I don't know why it makes me angry, but it does. And this anger, it comes out of nowhere... I know he's got a right to read or not read whatever he likes. I know it must be painful for him to read my blog. Hell, it's painful to write. After he read my blog, he said, "Every time I read your blog (me: all... what, three times now?) my neck and back get incredibly tight." His body's usual response to anxiety and anger. It was about all the feedback I got. That, and he said I was glad I had the community I did, and he wished that it was what he needed, too, since it was so readily available. And good for me for finding it.

Good for me. Right.

There are times when I can understand why so very many couples end up divorcing after the loss of a child. Even when you're trying (yes, Yoda, I hear you) to be gentle and kind, it just isn't easy. Even if you manage to keep the lines of communication open, there's a lot of static and it's hard to hear each other through it.

***

And now, out of nowhere, a new job has fallen into M.'s lap. Someone at his work was so angry about the way their company treated him following our son's death, that she gave him a name and number to another place and talked him up to this new company.

So, in the midst of all of this, he's cutting back on his hours at the place he's at now down to four days, and then picking up two more days at this new place, in order to begin building a caseload. That means he'll be gone six days a week, for as long as it takes for him to get enough clients to quit working his old job.

The timing is terrible. But I know he's unhappy where he is, and I do want him to get out of there. I just wish he could quit outright and start at a new place, but health care in America sucks, especially mental health, and there's so not much out there anymore that offers a psychologist a salaried position. Unless you want to work for the government. Or the place he's at, where they treat their therapists like used cars salesmen competing for the top position.

The world is a really twisted place.

***

So I'm paranoid. Can you blame me?

This swine flu thing is giving me anxiety attacks, and now they're reporting a possible case in our state. Like I don't have enough to worry about, now there's a pandemic! (Thanks, Wilbur!) The littles are in school today, but I think I'm keeping them home tomorrow. And the rest of the week. And maybe forever.

We had been considering going back to homeschooling in the fall anyway. I hate the school they're in, and I'm starting to see all the signs I did with the older two of school sapping their spirit and energy. And they, too, are beginning to hate it and dread going (a sure sign it's time!)

Of course, William's death decided me. I want my babies as close to me as possible for as long as possible.

But I was going to wait the school year out. Now? I don't know. This flu thing makes me tremble inside. What if? I know the odds are saying the risk of death is low... most flus kill infants and the elderly. (Should I be grateful I don't have a newborn in my arms right now? Ha. The ironies in this world can knock the wind out of you in an instant...) But I have been on the wrong end of "the odds" now, and my perspective has changed. Considerably.

Where did this thing come from? I feel like I'm being blindsided, out of nowhere, over and over. Maybe it's because I've begun this horrible journey into darkness. I can't see what's coming. And I hate being so afraid.

But just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you...right?

8 comments:

Tash said...

Just found you through LFCA, and I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

My husband tried to read me at first and found he couldn't. And though it stung at first, I completely got his reasoning: I often brought up things when he wasn't in the right place to hear them, and often talked about things in a way he wasn't in the right place to deal with. I kinda related it to talking to someone on a cell phone in the car vs. in person: if the person is there, they can take in everything in the conversation, including traffic conditions. If the person isn't there live, they may get the core of what you're saying, but they're not there with you to read your emotions or see how what's going by the window effects what you say. It's like a surprise and possible blow to the gut. And believe me, I get that.

I've been way overly anxious this week myself (mantra: "It's not a premonition, it's a bad (day)dream, there's a reason you're thinking this") and I don't think the whole swine flu thing is helping.

BTW, just perusing your blogroll, do you know Three Quarter Mom? She's relatively new -- Her daughter died in January of a heart defect, and she has three surviving children. Thought you might have some common ground.

Thinking of you.

Lea said...

So sorry you are feeling this way. You're right, things do happen out of nowhere and they are completely overwhelming... and you are so new to this horrible journey.
I hope everything works out with your husband's new job....

Thinking of you

Michele said...

I remember we were driving in the car, I forget now where, when I Dont Want To Miss A Thing by Areosmith came on. We had to pull over, we were both crying so hard. It just hits... random time, random place. Can't control it.

Sending warm wishes...

(And I get upset too when my hubby tells me he hasnt been to my blog in weeks/months. Even though I write for me and not for him...)

Shannon Ryan said...

Songs are a sure fire way to get me bawling.. actually... cats in the cradle did just that a couple weeks ago in meijer parking lot! :( But you know, I think the regular flow of tears is good for us, I don't like bottling things inside, so it's a good release.

As for the hubby thing.. most men just grieve differently than women. I often wish that my husband would write his own entries about Dresden.. I feel like 20 years down the road, I'll have all this stuff that I wrote in my journal and on our website to look at, and to remember when those memories aren't so crystal clear.. I NEED those memories, my memories. But we're all different.

Ya Chun said...

To me, part of the being gentle with each other is understanding how they can be there for you. Does that make sense? Triple S has a hard time seeing me hurt - he is hurting himself and me crying hurts him even more.

He doesn't read my blog (not a good thing for him to do at work anyway). Sometimes we've talked about what ends up in a post, sometimes I tell him about the topic later. Sometimes, I'm not ready to talk to him about what I blog about either, and over time, that has become handy, knowing that he doesn't read the blog regularly.

I stopped listening to the radio so much in the car. Crying while driving is not so good.

as an aside, your shelfari looks similar to mine...

Mr. Shelby said...

Sending you best wishes. I'm glad that you've found an outlet in your blog, and you have the support of the entire AFI community.

As other posters have eluded to, us men take a bit longer to sort out our feelings. Shelby started her blog almost a year before I started mine. I never read her blog in hopes that it gave her a platform to say anything she wanted to, uncensored. Don't get me wrong, we talk and communicate all the time, but I wanted to make sure that she had a special place, just for her.

Mr. Shelby

bir said...

My hubby doesn't read my blog either. He's not a reader. And to be honest I'm happy either way if he does or doesn't. To me my blog, and my girls blogs (you lot!) are like sitting with you all to have a cup of coffee. It seems that (some) men try their darnedest to understand how we're feeling, but really, they'll never quite get it. We're different, men and women. And that's ok, because we were made to be that way. I'm not saying it's EXACTLY ok, because us women spend so much time doing a great job of understanding the way men work, and sometimes (often!) it feels like we don't get the same courtesy back.
I too can understand how the death of a child or the loss of pregnancy etc, can end in marital breakdown. It's tough. We all need medals, because we've definitely got the chests to pin it on!
Love and gentle days to you xxx

http://allthelittleponies.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Sometimes my hubby reads my blog, and I don't know, sometimes it bothers me. Because I pour everything I can't tell him out into my blog. Men and women grieve differently, he's focused on helping me weather the storm, and silently grieving. It's just how he is, and I have to accept that.

Even some days, the world knocks the wind out of me out of nowhere and I end up reeling from it, bruised for days.

((hugs mama))