I haven't been here long in "dead babyland" (and if you haven't heard the term yet... don't ask) so most of you who've been here a while have probably seen Dear Abby's view on stillbirth baby photos.
My husband hadn't seen it, though. And when he did... well... let's just say I think he's entering the "anger" portion of the Kubler-Ross grief stages...
Here's his response:
Dear Abby,
Regarding your column entitled DESK PHOTO OF STILLBORN BABY CREATES AWKWARD OFFICE ISSUE:
For the record, I am a licensed pscyhotherapist and grief counselor with over a decade of experience, and also the father of a stillborn son. Although you were smugly well-mannered in acknowledging that a person's desk, in most cases, is essentially private territory, you were surprisingly presumptuous and uneducated in suggesting that the woman who kept the picture of her stillborn child on her desk should put the picture in a drawer or in her purse.
If the woman had a picture of her deceased husband or parent or cat on her desk, would your response be the same? If the woman had a picture of her child with an unfortunate visible degenerative birth defect, or her sister who had been severely burned on her face, would your response be the same? If the woman had a picture of her grandparents with tattooed forearms who were later burned or gassed to death in Auschwitz (yes, such pictures exist) would your response be the same? If the woman had a picture of the starving, bloated and fly-specked child she sponsored in South America or Appalachia or Somalia, or a picture of her gay brother near death with Kaposi's sarcoma-ridden AID's, would your response be the same?
Shame on you for being primarily concerned about the shallow discomfort of the woman who feels awkward when faced with something that she is in denial and defensively offended about.
You and the woman who wrote you the note in question need more education about denial, defense mechanisms, respect, empathy, acceptance, grief, death, dying and stillbirth, and in humanity and compassion.
M.
Licensed Psychotherapist
Grief Counselor
Father Of A Stillborn Son
7 comments:
AARRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
OMG!!!
I had not seen this and I am sooooo efin PISSED now!! WTF!?!?!?!? I can't say anything that isn't full of obscene words and hate...so I'm shutting up! But seriously WTF!!??
Good show! Excellent letter--I really like the way he expresses himself.
Amen to that!
I had never seen that column and I am FURIOUS. How dare she, how ..effing... dare she? I'm joining your husband in the angry stage. What a wonderful letter.
How insensitive of Abby.Insensitive and uncouth, but I guess it takes someone to experience a hard loss to "get it" and stop being so insensitive. Hooray for your dh for calling her on it.
I hadn't seen that either- but I love your husband's response. That poor woman- no wonder she got a little mean trying to deal with co-workers.
that is seriously horrifying. what is wrong with people, the writer, dear abby, the world? i am in a kubler-ross anger minute myself right now. your husband's response is awesome.
Post a Comment