Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Mars and Venus

I don't understand men.

I don't mean I don't love them, or deeply appreciate them and their differences from women - I do.

But sort of in the Venus/Mars tradition, I often feel their masculine viewpoints are so alien from my feminine ones that they're actually as unrecognizable to me as hearing someone speak another language. I just don't get it.

My husband told me last night how he looks at William's death, and I was left literally speechless.

"I've never been a believer in 'shit happens,'" he said. "To me, that's the coward's way out. To say that William's death was an accident... well, there are no accidents. I have to take responsibility for the worst possible scenario, and that would be the fact that I could have done something to prevent what happened. Not to take responsibility for that would make me a coward."

woppitywoppitywoppity < --- sound of my head shaking in disbelief

"So, you think you could have done something to prevent his death?"

"I know I could have," he said. "We all could have. You could have, the midwife could have, the doctor we saw for the ultrasounds could have. For example, you could have spent the entire nine months on a fetal monitor, and it could have prevented his death."

Okayyyy...

Any men out there who can explain this perspective to me? Because I go immediately to believing that a) I did something to kill my son (which is, as he says, the worst case scenario and a possibility) and b) my husband blames me for killing my son (which is an even worse case than the first, and a possibility...)

He obviously blames himself on some level - and believes he could have done something to prevent it. His "taking responsibility for that" probably does make him more courageous than I am. The thought that I could have prevented William's death leaves me shaking and paralyzed with regret.

His logic went on to say, all death is preventable, except for death by old age. Every death, he argued, could be prevented by a different choice. A differently lifestyle, a different diet, a different way to work. But of course, we can't always live our lives that way. We'd end up like the boy in the bubble. We can only make the best choices we can with the information we have, based on our own values and beliefs, right? And, he said, if those choices cause something bad to happen, then we have to take personal responsibility for that.

Not to do so would be cowardly. Like his mother, he said, telling herself "stories" about God taking angel-babies back to heaven before they're born. Or those people who have said, "It was meant to be" or "It was for the best." Denial. Coward's way out, he says.

Well, then, I guess I'm a coward. Granted, I'm not telling myself stories. I'm looking very closely at what happened, and wondering what I did, what I could have done. But how can I take responsibility for something I don't know could have effected the outcome? Hindsight is 20/20, and everything I could have done is just conjecture, isn't it? Just Monday morning quarterbacking, to use a masculine metaphor.

I do get that he's taking things to their absurd, logical conclusion - this was all, actually, in defense of having another home birth, if we decide to have another baby. In some weird way, this argument was meant to justify our choices, to say that we made the best ones we could, with the information we had, and we would have to do that again, if we chose to have another baby. And then take responsibility for those choices.

I sort of get it. But it comes through garbled, and feels like it needs translation. He asked this morning if what he'd said made sense, and I was honest when I told him no. It doesn't make sense to me. Nothing about the death of my son "makes sense." I've felt like people were talking Albanian around me since he died, and I just kind of look at them, hearing the sounds, the inflection, but not understanding the words.

He seems to be making some sense of it for himself, and I don't begrudge him that, and I'm not saying his perspective isn't valid. But wrapping my head around something so... huge... so all-at-once, it feels removed to me, and I think this is one of the ways the masculine and feminine differ in the way they grieve.


My grief is immediate - I had the personal experience of having William inside of me, and I knew him, on a level no one else did. My husband didn't have that. Aside from his knowledge that I was pregnant and carrying his son, and his own connection to him through me - feeling him kick from the outside, my talking about the baby's movements - M.'s experience was more removed. Fathers bond more with babies after they're born, and William never took a breath. My husband's dreams were born dead... mine died inside of me.

The difference is stark. I want my baby back - my loss is experienced on a "now" level - my breasts want to nurse the baby who was just kicking my ribs, my arms want to hold the weight of my tiny, perfect son. My husband, on the other hand, has lost the future - teaching our son how to read, how to fish, how to hit a baseball.

I think, from what I'm reading about other mother's (and father's) experiences, that women experience our child's death in the "now" forever. We might imagine what they would be like at one year, two, ten... but it isn't until those anniversaries come up that we experience the loss of our child at that age. Fathers, I think, have that loss all at once.

Don't ask me which is worse. They're both too awful to contemplate.

All I know is that I'm not really understanding him, and it makes me wonder if he's understanding me. Maybe we're both talking, but not hearing each other. At the very least, it feels like a lot is getting lost in the translation.

4 comments:

Ya Chun said...

Well, I have regrets about not trying to do something to save Serenity, wishing I had taken an action that could have changed the outcome. But I don't know what that action could have been - as no action would ever guarantee her safe arrival.

And I know that Triple S blames himself too, although I really don't know what he could have done. He thinks "If I had just asked her about the baby at the right time." But would that have made a difference?

All I know is that I was on duty.

Accidents are accidents, and no fate or outside hand is needed. That day you took an alternate route to work could result in an airplane crashing on the road you never drive on. It's just randomness.

Someone, one who didn't really know our story, said "Maybe it's for the best, she was probably sick." She was no more sick than a child who dies of SIDS or a kid who falls down the staircase. Just because she died (unexplained, maybe umbilical cord) inside doesn't mean she was sick.

But anyway, maybe your dh is just expressing his current thoughts, and hasn't gotten to the core/ conclusion yet. My thoughts change and go back all the time.

The only consistent thing is that it sucks. It doesn't really matter how we got here, it just sucks.

Gosling said...

Maybe his perspective comes from 'trying to make things right'. To men, I believe, it's more about action - what can I do and how do I make it better / how do I change this? To women, maybe the stages of grief go slower. It's more living in the moment and feeling, rather than doing.

John Hedtke said...

I came to post a reply along the lines of what I see Gosling said: guys like to fix things, to solve the problem, to make it not be a problem any more. By extension, if there's a problem that's affecting a guy, it's something that he hasn't turned his mighty hands to solving. It don't have to make sense; it's just guy stuff.

Now, the problem with what he's saying about all death being preventable except for old age is that he's just purely wrong. Death happens and it frequently happens for No Visible Reason Whatsoever. William was alive and then, for no reason, was not. The most typical explanation is the cord gets tangled or kinked and the baby loses oxygen and nutrients, but that's only a guess in many cases, a label to explain that this happens sometimes. People die for no visible reason, too: a friend of my former lover was getting into her car once, scooted in, bumped her head on the windshield (as in "bumped," not "cracked," "banged," or "clobbered"), and died instantly. For no visible reason at all. She just died. It happens.

I don't think that there are no accidents. I think there are plenty of accidents and this was one of them. (FWIW, I cannot imagine any god I'd want to worship who did this to mothers because it was a Good Thing To Do. If this is part of "God's Plan," I'd like to see what other gods are on the menu, thank you! It would be kinder and gentler to kill mothers outright than to force them through this kind of pain.) And because it really was an accident, I don't think that your husband or you or anyone else should get hooked up with blaming yourselves for woulda/coulda/shoulda. It sounds like you ate well, you were watching what was going on, I'm assuming you didn't smoke and I think you said something about not drinking once, and you were getting regular medical checkups and monitoring what was happening.

Wearing a fetal monitor for 9 months? Gack! I don't know that much of anyone does that except, maybe, possibly, in the highest risk situations... but you know, even if you had been, from what you described, there might not have been much that you could've done even then. If it had been, say, his heart giving out s-l-o-w-l-y over a day or two, and if you caught it in time, you might have been able to dash to the hospital for a C-section and complex emergency neonatal surgery to fix whatever the problem may have been, which may or may not have been fixable, which may or may not have happened in time, and which may or may not have been too severe to let him survive. If, if, if.

It's not your fault. It's not your husband's fault. It sure as hell better not be God's fault because there'd be some explaining to do. It really was an accident from what you've said. And your husband is trying to come up with something to help him process all of this, but he needs to understand really hard that this isn't his load to shoulder because he couldn't have done anything.

Dalene said...

Sure, William's death was "preventable", in a hypothetical sense. BUT you and your husband didn't know HOW to prevent it or what do differently. That makes it an accident. If the result of William's death is that every pg woman should be on a continuous monitor for 9 months and the result of my son's death is that every pg woman should have a C/S because my baby died in labor, well, that just doesn't make sense.