My midwife brought us dinner last night and did a quick postpartum check.
"Are you getting any rest and are you bleeding a lot?"
"No...and no."
I'm recovering remarkably well. Isn't that ironic. My bleeding is less than most of my regular periods. I have no tears, no vaginal pain at all anymore, and only had a slight initial soreness anyway. Aren't I lucky?
Of course, I would have taken the recovery that comes with major open abdominal surgery, if I could have taken my baby home alive. I would have taken that trade-off in a heartbeat.
She also asked me if my milk had come in yet.
"No. Not yet."
Not until today. Today my body is making milk for a baby it doesn't know is dead. I'm overflowing with it, my breasts tender, sore, stinging, aching to be relieved. Nature knew just what she was doing, creating breasts that fill to bursting and babies who root and suckle to find nourishment.
Nature didn't plan for dead babies.
Today I read everything I could about suppressing milk production - some say cabbage leaves or ice packs (to soothe the burning pain). Most say to wear a tight bra, or to bind your breasts. Right. You try wrapping ace bandages around two bowling balls and tell me how well that works out for you, k? There are sites that swear by huge doses of vitamin B6, and others that claim that pseudoephedrine will help dry up the supply. Some say to drink sage tea and eat sage in everything.
So there I am... I'm reading, and weeping, and leaking milk down my belly and I can't decide what to do to make it stop. I can tell you what I want to do - what my body wants, what my breasts want, what every feminine inch of me wants with all the life force I possess - I want to nurse my baby. I want to cradle the soft, unformed bones of his still-slightly-molded head in my hand and guide his hungry, open mouth to my breast. I want to see his tiny fingers curl around mine as he feeds, his eyes - the eyes I never saw open, and never will - searching my face as he swallows.
I took a warm bath this morning. instead of a hot shower - because they say hot water makes your breasts fill faster. And then I bound my breasts. That hurt like hell. Then I tried ice packs. They provided a little relief. But still. Nowhere near enough. I became obsessed with stopping this process. There had to be something. Me, Ms. Non-Medical-Everything, I searched for medications, a prescription, something, anything to stop this pain.
And found so very little relief.
It wasn't until I put pads in my bra, because I was leaving wet stains on my shirt - I had to change twice before I found that brilliant idea - that I realized... my body was mourning. It was doing it, all on its own. It wasn't just me, intellectually, or even just emotionally connected to the memory of what happened. I know I haven't stopped crying since he was born. My face is sore and dry from tears. Emotionally distraught doesn't even come close to how I'm feeling.
But this, what my body is doing, isn't about feeling. This is about being. It isn't a betrayal. That's what my mind wanted to believe, at first, as I searched and searched for a way to make it stop. My body had betrayed me, I thought - had let me carry a healthy, beautiful baby and then had taken him away somehow at the last moment. And now it was punishing me. The pain of pushing him out, the blood, the hard, angry swell and sting of my breasts...
But like labor pain...this pain has a purpose. My body is showing me the way. It isn't a betrayal - it's a signpost. This way. This is the way down, this is your descent. This is the way you must go now. There is no other way out except to pass through. There is pain here. There is death here. There is grief beyond comprehension and unimaginable depths of despair.
This is my body just confirming what my heart already knows. I have no choice.
Now my breasts are red and raw and tender, weeping milk for my dead son... and I can't stop them. My body gives me no choice. This is an experience I must have, and like birthing my baby still, I can't choose not to be here, I can't choose not to do this. This path is set, there is no exit, no way out, no way but forward into the darkness.
My body has its own agenda. Showing me the way. There is no easing this pain, no relief. I am on someone else's timetable - forces much greater than I can possibly comprehend. Groping my way, stumbling through, this is where I must go.
The darkness around me is deep.
9 comments:
I felt similar thoughts when my milk came in.. that was such a hard time. I would take showers, and watch the milk leaking down, as I was crying for my baby, my breasts were crying too. It's still a soft spot for me.. I still want to nurse my boy.. big hugs to you!
Oh yes, I remember this. You know, people gave me a whole bunch of stuff to stop the milk but in the end, I just let it flow. Also, I expressed some milk and I did two things with it: I mixed it with a little water, and watered every single living plant in my house, and then also, I froze some into ice in a little container, took it up to Josie's grave and laid it on top so that it would melt into the ground above her. I found that ritual so...so healing. It kind of felt like the milk had a purpose then, you know? It did take a few days for me to think of that though. Funnily enough shortly after that, the swelling went down, as though my body knew it had done what it was meant to, in some small way.
I wanted to share that in case it helped in some way. I also felt, like you and Shannon, that my body was crying - that was exactly what it was doing though, you know? Just exactly what it was doing.
*HUGE hugs* to you today mama. XXXXXX
I did think of it... but the truth is, after four babies, I know my body and my breasts pretty well, and I never have been able to express. :( My babies can get the milk, no problem, but my anatomy doesn't seem set up well for breast pumps.
This process of our breasts weeping...why does each step feel crueler than the next? I found the physical and emotional discomfort of my milk coming in so unbelievably traumatic. But it ended, and even that was a sorrow in itself.
On a more practical level, i'm not sure it worked, but i did drink a lot of No More Milk tea, from Earth Mama,Angel Baby, and I did the frozen cabbage thing, which did actually alleviate the throbbing and swelling. I just popped the whole cabbage in the freezer and cut off leaves. Others didn't really want to be around me because I smelled of cabbage, but then again, I was thankful for the offensive smell. I craved solitude.
I'm so sorry, hon. I'm following your blog, but I'm just so sorry. May your journey through Eriskegal's lands return you to the light.
There's a story my wonderful midwife reminded me of - going into the underworld and leaving a part of yourself at every gate, until finally you are stripped bare and naked down there, with nothing. But, you come back out...and reclaim your place among the living, eventually. We went to an Ostara celebration and she told the full version of the story there, because it refers to one of the old myths of the seasons changing, and I heard it that second time, and smiled because by then, I had returned. You will too. XXX
Jay, thank you. It's the myth I'm holding onto... that this journey has an end, that there is a rebirth after death, that the cycle continues, the wheel turns, that Inanna returns to the land of the living... that's the hope, however flickering and faded at the moment...
You will. My own mother had a son die, Finn, in 1986 - ironically because of the same reason as Josie - a placental abruption. She almost died too, but the difference between us was that I had a cesarean and she gave birth vaginally and lost half her blood supply that way. She did return, and she is living and inspiring others, and actually (though this may not be a comfort right now, but funnily enough, for me, it always was) had two other children, my younger sister Nadia and then Fred. This is a very, very dark place to start from, I know, but you do find yourself surfacing after a while just as long as you take care of yourself, and be gentle with yourself. Thank goodness, too, since none of us deserved this happening to us - that's for sure! Here are some *enormous hugs* and much love going your way. XXXX
I am reading your blog after hearing about your loss for the first time today, and as I sit here with tears streaming down my face, my daughter's music is actually playing Amazing Grace. What exquisite timing. What an awful thing to have to live through. And descend through until you find the other side. And know that you will...you will. It is a horrible journey, and one that no mama should ever have to go through.
My prayers are with you forever, with William, and with your entire family. Perhaps all of our tears are watering William's garden in heaven. It will be a lush and beautiful garden for the tears watering it are filled with all of our sorrow and our hopes and our love...
Post a Comment