I wish I could say I was in Margaritaville for Easter, but I seem to have ended up in Martyrville.
Part of it is, I guess no one knows what to say.
I prepared myself for an outpouring of sympathy. Just in case. The strange image that kept coming to me was Illyria from Buffy - armored and distant. I just decided to pretend I wasn't human. I'm just a visitor here to your planet. No feelings at all. What is this strange thing you call sadness? That was the most drastic thing I could think of, to keep the grief at bay. Otherwise, it's like trying to plug the Hoover Dam with bubble gum... (and we're all out of bubble gum?) I knew I would just break down and flood the room with my mourning, and what good would that be for everyone, including me? So... I was prepared.
But from the time we arrived at our little Easter gathering, most of my family didn't even mention it. Not even my brother-in-law in his before dinner prayer, who almost always mentions something personal, even if it's just "keep us all safe on the journey home," etc. Yesterday's prayer was the shortest and most general I've ever heard him deliver.
I brought my pictures of William and waited for the subject to come up. And I waited. And waited. I finally realized no one was going to say anything unless I did. Probably because they didn't know how I would handle it if they said something, I rationalized. So I finally showed my mom his pictures, and gave her the ones I'd had printed for her. I also asked her if she wanted some of his ashes - we decided to give some of William's ashes to the grandfathers he was named after. She said she did.
Once she was looking at the pictures, then my sisters and my niece wanted to see as well, and we talked about him a little, and about what happened. But I found it really interesting that none of the men - my brother-in-law, my nephew - wanted to hear about it or see him. They left the room in a hurry, and it ironically reminded me of whenever I have a newborn and start nursing them in public.
I think women understand on a more visceral level. Men are so bodily and experientially removed from it, it's probably even more horrifying and terrifying to them. Not that some women don't say all the wrong things...
My oldest sister told me how strong I was, that she was a mess when she found out, and she was glad my niece (in-law), S., was the one who came to the hospital to be with us, because she didn't know if she could have handled it. And my 2nd oldest sister told me all about how she had to pull over when she heard the news, because she was so devastated and crying so hard, but it comforts her to know that, "Dad got to see that baby first up in heaven." *sigh*
Not that I begrudge them their sadness... or their comforts. I know it's sad. People I have never even met face to face are sad about it, and I get that.
My mother-in-law took the prize for worst response, though. Three days after we'd called to tell her what happened, she called us. Not to ask if we needed anything. Not to inquire how we were doing. No. Instead, she calls my husband's cell (she wouldn't dare call mine and do this) to scream at him, "You haven't called me in three days and you obviously don't want to talk to me!"
WTH?!
M. didn't even tell me she called and said something. It wasn't until I overheard him on the phone with her, telling her how inappropriate her comments had been and how much he didn't appreciate it, that I realized. It's not like this is the first time she's done something like this - it's just that I can't think of a worse time and circumstance. I knew she liked to play the narcissistic martyr... but now? Really? In the midst of the mourning of the death of my child, she's going to play the martyr card and make us take care of her feelings?
Honestly, I can't do it. I've obviously been willing to before, seeing as I have so many of these types of people around me. In the past, I've been willing to suppress my own feelings to take care of everyone else's feelings around me, to let them think they were bigger, more important, than my own. But this grief is too big even for me to contain. I can't do it.
There have been times, in the past, I've thought that I should just do something drastic, or check myself into a mental hospital, just to "prove" that I'm not really as strong - at least on the inside - and everyone else seems to think I am. But in this case, it's not a consideration, or a rational thought... it's a real possibility. I cry all day. I sit for hours doing/staring at nothing. I forget to do the most basic things. Like take a shower. Or brush my teeth. Or eat. I hear babies crying. And I'm not sure it's all in my head.
What I want to do is crawl into a closet and stay there. I used to do it when I was little, whenever my parents would fight. It was rare that anyone came looking for me, and I once spent the entire night asleep in the closet. I emerged in the morning, and no one knew I'd been in there. That pretty much sums up how "strong" I am in the face of emotional stress. I hide, and no one notices, and everyone mistakes it for my being brave.
Every day, the closet seems more and more appealing.
12 comments:
You are noticed. Your feelings, your fears, your grief...they matter. To more than just yourself. Everyone processes grief differently, but I am so sorry to hear that your family didn't make yours more important than their own. It's a shame, and it is wrong. You won't ever tell them that, but it is true. Know that in your heart as you try to make it through another day trying to stay above water. Know there are many out there who care, who want you to do whatever you have to do right now, however you have to do it, to survive.
Would it help at all if I said "This is normal?" Your soul and heart have been ripped in half and the repair job is hardly begun. This will take however long it takes, but two weeks is still in the moment.
Hugs.
Thanks, Amy...I do know, and it's a gift to have you and everyone else who really IS supportive... it's just painful that my family never has and never will "get" it. :( And John, thank you, too... I know this is part of the process, I know... but my "new normal" sucks, I have to say... :)
Hi - I linked over from my blog. I hate to find another mom whose little one is gone. I just read your story and it is so very familiar. I'm so so very sorry that William isn't with you right now. And yes, you will find that many people in your life will never ever get it.
You have my permission to be selfish right now. Do what you can to surround yourself with supportive people and cut out the ones who expect you to take care of them. They are not worthy of your time and attention. I'm so sorry that some of these people are your own family.
I have found little help from my family. The horror stories are painful.
I don't know why it is so difficult, but I guess there are in some pain too, and see their loved ones n pain, but then just can't seem to handle it or understand their place in the grief chain.
It is some party.
narcissistic tendency: My dad said to me while I was IN LABOR "this is going to push me over the edge!" and all I could do was laugh and say "Me too!" Man! I so get this part for you!
"But my sisters just have a way of twisting things to try and make their feelings seem more important than anyone else's. Especially mine. I'm the strong one. "A rock." I can handle anything. They, on the other hand, need pampering and taking care of. Even when it's not about them at all." It is possible that we may be related! My mom says "water off a ducks back!" about me. Sigh.
I have noticed in lue of all of these comments and events from those surrounding me that I don't care anymore. I don't care at all how they feel, what they're going through or have been through. Their drama seems so petty and insignificant to me now. I am forever changed.
"I hide, and no one notices, and everyone mistakes it for my being brave." AMEN!!
You know, we all want to hide in our closets. This is all such a huge undertaking, grief. I didn't shower for days. I didn't care. I didn't remember. I just came out of a stage of staying up til 4am stage...too afraid of my own bed. To afraid of my own thoughts while lying there. Too afraid to face what we made there, what died there, what isn't there anymore. Sometimes it's ok to hide in that closet. Darkness is the only "one" that "gets it" sometimes. This is my closet. This blog. I hide here, and I like it here. It's safe. It's comforting.
Welcome to our closet. Have a seat.
I'm sorry that your sisters can't seem to find a way to express their sadness and how William's death impacted them, while still allowing for and acknowledging your feelings. And your MIL, well, I'm glad your husband seemed to put her in check, but I'm really sorry he had to. It sucks that anyone would make William's death about them and not respect the primacy of your immediate family's grief.
And I hear you about checking in to a mental hospital, if just to make a point. Too bad today's mental hospital's are mostly about getting you on meds and sending you out the door. We need a home for bereaved mothers. Where we can congregate and talk to each other and make dark drawings about our feelings and our experiences and hold each other's hands and light candles and cry for our babies together (and, apparently, write in long run-on sentences).
I linked to you from Aliza's blog. I'm so, so sorry for the loss of your beautiful William. And I'm sorry that some around you are unable to support you during this impossible time. I wish I could say that I don't know how you feel, but sadly I do. Please know that there are many in this babylost community who know how you feel, who don't expect you to be strong, and who will hold your hand and your heart while sitting next to you in the closet. Much love to you mama.
I agree with you about your new normal. I'd have much rather a better, happier normal for you, but I'm sorry, Dear One, this is what we got on the menu right now. I'm so sorry; I'd rather you had something better.
I like Jstrong's comment about a home for bereaved mothers. It's not that other people can't be successful, but I don't believe that anyone who hasn't gone through this horrible experience can really understand the pains and the darkness of this particular journey through the Underworld or how to find the light at the end of this horrible trip. (I am pleased that the Net offers a venue for linking, but a home for bereaved mothers where they could go to be together while they heal enough to feel like they can start facing the world again is a lovely idea.)
BTW, I'm really pleased that your husband buffered your mother-in-law's call and particularly that he ripped her a new one about this. Good man. :)
Oh mama, I linked to you from Mothering.com and I just wanted to send you a message to send you warm healing thoughts. I shed many tears reading your story, and each was a prayer for you and your family. I hope you can take the time and space that you need with your grief - I hope that you find people who will genuinely support you in this time. Your mourning deserves to be honored - please know that I am holding you and all of your little ones in my heart today.
Post a Comment