M. says life and death aren't opposites - birth and death are. The only guarantee of birth is death. And who gets to decide how much time a soul spends earthside? We certainly don't. Time is irrelevant. Who says William's life wasn't full, then, M. argues? Who says the time he spent wasn't the time he was supposed to spend?
We live life in the continuum. And can only see some things in hindsight I guess.
But me, I can't help but think of what his life "should have been." To imagine that his whole existence was "meant" to be spent in my womb... what kind of life was it, then, I wonder?
What was it like, living inside of me? Feeling my heartbeat, my emotional tides? I wish I’d laughed more for him – although there was one night I peed myself during MST3K. ;) I wish I'd been less distracted, more focused on the time we did have together. I didn't know it was going to be just that, just those three short seasons, that we would spend. I didn't know, and I guess that's the point isn't it? We never know. We just never know how much time we're going to have.
I did spend time every day with my hand on my belly, just feeling him, sending him love. I knew he was going to be my last, and I wanted to remember the lasts. Like the last first flutters. He let me know he was there very very early. The doctors and nurses and even the midwives looked at me doubtfully when I said I felt him at 10 weeks... but I did. There's no mistaking that sensation, not when you've had as many babies as I have.
Did he know somehow he wasn't going to get as much time with me, and so he wanted me to know he was there as early as he could manage?
I knew him from the very first. I loved him before the moment he was conceived. It sounds crazy, but I felt him one morning in bed, half awake, half asleep, about a week before I was even due to ovulate. This sudden warmth and peace and knowing came over me, and I knew it was our baby. I didn't know his name, I didn't know what gender he was... because he wasn't anything, and yet, he was. He existed, hovering, present.
Am I just telling myself stories now, to make myself feel better? I have no idea. I really don't know.
But I know that when he was with me, inside of me, I was never alone. Even when everyone else was gone for the day, the kids at school, M. at work, William was with me. And that relationship remains probably the most connected I'll ever be with another person. I felt him completely. I knew his waking cycles, his sleep cycles. I felt his little hands up by his face every morning as I sat on the couch while the kids got ready for school, his elbows moving sharply sometimes above my pubic bone, and I just knew he was sucking his thumb or his fingers. His older sister and his brother had, too.
Now I sit in the same place every morning and remember that time with him. It was my time, only mine and his. No one else could have understood it, or felt that same sweet connection, that knowing, that tender feeling of love and care, knowing he was comforting himself until I could comfort him skin-to-skin, flesh to flesh, finally on the outside.
I remember every ultrasound, ever peek I had into the window of my uterus. It was the only time I saw him moving, alive. I so wish M. had taken the time off work to be with me at the gender u/s now. I was the one who discovered we were having a boy - it was the ultrasound tech who laughed and agreed, "Yep, that's a boy." I wish he could have been there for that moment. I do have the video, though. I can see William kicking, turning, rolling, such an active little man. He was communicating with me, even then. He always was.
Then why couldn’t he tell me, at the end? Why couldn't he tell me he was going, going, gone? What happened to that stream of communication?
Did he try? Was he trying, all the way up until that very last moment?
I think he was.
I think I stopped listening, I was distracted by my own pain. I didn't listen to my intuition. I didn't trust my body, my own authority, my instinct. I lost that connection, I let it go, just for a moment, and I lost him.
I failed him.
I’m so sorry, baby.
9 comments:
I know so intimately, so deeply that sense of failure. I should have known. I should have been able to keep him safe. I should have been able to protect him.
For me, hindsight just colors everything I remember from that last week of Soren's life. I think the only thing that keeps me from drowning completely in that sense of responsibility and failure is the quiet voice in my head that says, "You know you never would have done anything on purpose to cause or allow your child to die." Even in my darkest moments, that voice insists, "If you had known, really known, you would have done something."
I hope this voice finds you because I know that the same is true for you-- if you had *really* known (not just felt passing fears that, in hindsight, feel predictive), you would have done something.
This is so hard. Even though I hear that voice, I still blame myself.
My heart broke for you as I read this post. The guilt is so familiar to me. Rationally I know that I never would have hurt my baby or let her suffer if I could help it, and neither would you. But we are mothers and we feel so responsible for every little thing that happens to our children and in this case, the worst has happened while they were inside of us. It seemed before that pregnancy was the one time that I knew my baby was perfectly safe and I didn't have to worry about all those things you worry about when they are on the outside. How wrong I was.
William was so lucky to have you as his mama and I am so sorry he isn't here with you now.
*tears*
Thank you all for showing me I'm not really as alone as I thought I was...
I can't even tell you what these comments mean to me. I can't even begin.
No words, just hugs from one momma to another.
It really wasn't your fault, Dear One. Really and truly and absolutely, it wasn't. I deeply envy the sense of connection you had with him while you were carrying him and I'm deeply sorry that you didn't have time outside with him.
It's true that you loved William and knew he was there even before he was quite there. I also think that William felt all of this and knew. Babies do get a sense of their environment and you held him and loved him while you carried him.
I would love to be seeing you radiantly happy, cradling your beloved son, rather than as the mourning Demeter. But remember through all of this that it really wasn't your fault, Dear One. Not at all. Really and truly.
I send hugs, too. I am glad, somehow, to cry with you about it. I honor you, sister,
I wrote this poem a little while ago. I hesitate to post it for you, but chancing upon a post titled "Alone" on a blog named "Inanna Journey" is too much of a synchronisitous event for me. Inanna is special to me, very special at this time in my life. This poem is special to me, very special to me at this time in my life. I am on a journey, possibly the most important journey o my life. I could not pass without trusting Inanna and sharing my poem. For as it is written:
Inanna spoke:
"What I tell you
Let the singer weave into song.
What I tell you,
Let it flow from ear to mouth,
Let it pass from old to young."
Alone
-----
Y'know when you've been doing for too long,
and it feels like a month past forever?
You've followed your Path faithfully,
overcoming all adversarity,
and you stop for a rest,
just a smidge to get your bearings,
and you look around,
sniffing the sounds.
Y'know, you look ahead and over to the sides,
and nothing is as it is supposed to be,
nothing is as you were told it'd be,
so you look back the way you came,
and Confusion is the only thing you see,
as you realize you can't get
anywhere
from here, and yet,
tearfully understanding
your fragile
mortality,
relief washes you clean
paradoxically,
as you see your Soul
and hear it keen,
and, there's noplace you'd rather be,
but Lost,
far away
from anyone
or anyplace anyone has everbeen.
Y'know that feeling?
You would.
You could.
You should.
Y'know if you ever stopped
for just a moment,
for just a crack in the Universe moment,
a crack in Your verse,
a crack between Our verses,
a crack between these verses,
a crack that bares your Being
to its core,
and haunts your soul
with vicious torments
of savory morsels of Truth,
and then,
having stopped,
for That moment,
you looked around
and for the first time
you'd see
!
the Universe,
the one that doesn't go away
even
when you don't believe in it.
Y'know if you looked around,
right now,
even here,
even now,
right here,
if you surveyed the scene
without your reasoned lies,
without your shared illusions,
without your figments,
or your fig leaves,
you'd find yourself
lost
and alone,
naked,
without an inkling
tinkling,
no longer safe in the herd,
no longer one of many,
no longer privileged
to ignore the World
as it Is,
no body to coddle you,
just you alone,
no body to suppose to,
just you alone,
no body to defend you,
just you alone
and oh so very tender,
and oh so very tasty,
mmmm,
oh so
very
tantalizing . . .
mouthwatering
to the marauders
masquerading as mates.
Y'know that feeling?
Ain't it terrifying?
But at the same time,
on the flip side,
ain't it delicious?
. . .
to ride the edge,
the evershifting
razor shard edge
of the Dreamtime crack
in Time and Space,
the tunnel between Our cozy
mindless verses
and the vast
mindful Universe
where magick abounds
in harmonic sounds,
and Life is Wild
and chaotikly styled,
where Death is refiled
as the Birth of a child . . .
. . . ahhh . . .
do it,
do it more,
do it
More,
break down,
open up,
welcome in,
cuddle Death
and Live
on the crest of the Universal
Wave,
the conduit for Life,
ride the deep red Flow
to the rhythm of reverberating rumbles
where
unable to be contained
the thundering surge bursts
through
as a hundred
thousand
waves,
little mes,
little yous,
little us,
reaching for the stars
and
falling back to Earth,
laughing
in vernal pools
of Love
on bellybutton ponds
. . .
If you ever wake up,
look around
and find yourself lost and alone,
and,
deciding the undecidable,
prefer
the Terror of Truth
over
the Safety of Lie,
if then,
choosing to become
You,
One and Only,
Alone and Lost,
Small and Weak,
Frightened and Frantic,
if then,
that is what you Choose
when you stop for a Moment,
and take your Bearings,
if that,
then,
There
you will find
You,
and then,
There
will Be
Two Here
Alone in Wonder
for just
a
solitarily eternal,
eternally solitary,
.
.
.
fleeting
.
.
.
Moment
someone had told me that sometimes souls just need a little more time on earth until they can achieve nirvana. They were so close in their last life, they don't even need to be born this time around.
Maybe...
I am heartbroken by your loss. Because I am familiar with your grief, I know there aren't adequate words to bring you comfort. I can only say that I am so very sorry...
Post a Comment