Sunday, April 26, 2009

Body Memory

My hormones are shifting.

All the normal patterns are coming back. Migraines have returned, skin changes are happening, my weight is stabilizing. My breasts no longer leak milk every time I cry and think about him. Everything is slowly adjusting to pre-pregnancy levels. Pre-William levels.

I feel as if I'm losing him all over again. My body's mourning is coming to an end. When that happens...what will that do to my heart's grief? Will that dissipate too?

When I close my eyes and try to remember his face - so very clear to me just a week or two ago - the image is soft and bleeds around the edges. I keep his picture close now, not for the same reasons I did at the beginning - the instant relief and relaxation of every muscle in my body the moment I saw it - now I keep it near to remember, because I feel as if I'm beginning to forget.

I don't want to forget.

Last week I asked, horrified, how long anyone could be expected to walk around like this, with every nerve ending on the outside, exposed and raw and tender to the touch... today, I'm terrified at the thought that I might not feel his death this way forever. The pain of his immediate loss was better than this slow losing of his memory. I can remember little things still...the curve of his belly, the wet flop of his umbilical cord, the soft, dark remaining hair on his shoulders that would have fallen out as he grew outside of me instead of inside... but the whole becomes fuzzy in my memory when I try to put them together. I don't want William to deteriorate into a few details. I want him whole, I want to feel his weight, even if it means carrying him like an anvil in my chest.

I want my grief back, open and bleeding, like it was. Today, it feels muted, softer. I'm getting used to the hurt. My eyes are adjusting to the color in this world. I'm starting to be able to see in the dark. I'm no longer afraid of losing my way... I'm afraid of finding it. Yes, I know he will always be with me. But it's changing. The world isn't just moving around me anymore... I'm moving with it. That's disconcerting, after being so still for so long. My muscles ache from the stiff, aching posture of mourning.

Today, a friend offered me something in the way of comfort in this new phase of my grief:

"Did you know every time we carry a child, they leave their DNA in us? So if someone takes enough of our blood, they can find traces of every child we've carried within us, for the rest of our lives. I love knowing that. Because you were pregnant with William, he is part of you forever. You have your own indelible blueprint, your own map physically and permanently stamped inside you, of William. He will always be yours, you will always be his mama. Not even his death can take that away. Maybe we don't know it, but it's a way for them to come back to us sometime down the road..."

I had no idea. But it's true. It isn't just a story, something made up. It's a scientific fact. According to the article I read:

It's part of a process known as fetal microchimerism, in which the mother and fetus exchange certain cells during pregnancy that live on in each other's bodies for years and years.

The fear of losing him began to dissipate the moment I read that, no matter how much my body was changing, adjusting to a state of being without William inside of it. My hormones might be balancing themselves out... but there was a part of me that still held him. Would always hold him, for the rest of my life - he was in my blood, swimming in my veins, pumping through my broken but still beating heart.

The article also said:

One thing researchers have learned, Dr. Gadi said, is that we can no longer be so certain where one person's identity ends and another's begins. "There's no fine line dividing our identities," he said. "It's completely intermingled."

It also adds new meaning to the bond between mothers and children, Dr. Gilmore said. "The old saw is that mothers are closer to their children because they carried them, and in a way that's actually true, because mom is carrying a little of you and you're carrying a little of mom for the rest of your lives."

For the rest of our lives... and perhaps, just perhaps, beyond that. Maybe my friend's right - maybe he is part of me, and I am part of him, and we are all, in some sense, part of each other. And when we go on, however we go on, he will be me and I will be him, and we will be... we will be.

It might be. It just might.

14 comments:

Kara's Mom said...

What a beautiful, wonderful and painful post. I have felt the same as you, for the past 10 1/2 months. As the pain dissipates and I begin to move with the rest of the world, I am terrified of getting farther away from her memory. Does less pain mean less love? Less missing? Less heartbreak? No. I recently learned that remembering does not have to be painful - one day I should hope to look at her pictures and smile, for the gift of her. For what she was and continues to be for me. She is my daughter and nothing will ever make me forget or love her one iota less. But perhaps the raw pain does not have to accompany every memory of her for me, forever. I still hold onto my raw grief like a lifeline to her, but I am hopeful that someday I will remember her with smiles instead of gut-wrenching sadness. I hope the same for you.

Shannon Ryan said...

What a happy thought to know that part of our babies dna is still inside of us! I love that! Thank you for sharing.

Hope's Mama said...

It was about the same time out from my loss, that someone told me the same thing about the DNA. I remember it bringing me much comfort, as like you, I felt like I was leaving her behind as my grief changed shape.
This was a beautiful post.

Tonya said...

I'm so sorry about William. I'm so sorry that you have to live on this earth without him in your arms. It's not fair. It hurts beyond words. I know the feeling all too well...

I found your story on the message board and came to your blog. I lost my baby boy Nov. 12, 2008, stillborn, no apparent reason. A beautiful baby boy, only not alive. 6lb. 11oz at 36 weeks and 5 days - just 2 days before my scheduled c-section. A real life nightmare. This is the hardest thing I've ever been through in my life and I've been through a lot.

Sending you and your family big (((hugs))). My motto is one day at a time, one minute at a time...

Tonya
www.tonyatalk.blogspot.com

Heather said...

Reading about your journey through; in the wake of my own by 2 months, it is heartening and horrifying that we all say pretty much the same thing at pretty much the same points in our journies. It makes me feel less alone, but it makes me so sad to know that there are so many others who feel the same intense horror that I do. I remember feeling this exact same way when my body started re-adjusting. I also remember hoping it was a sign that my heart would follow the lead of my body. Today I can tell you with absolute certainty that it has not. Some days it has, but most days it has not. I am frightened that I will forever feel this empty misery that continues to feed on my soul. And all I can ever hear screaming in my brain is that "this shouldn't have happened!" and yet...it does, over and ovcr and over. Mother after mother. Family after family.

I didn't know that about the DNA. I'm hoping it grants my heart just a little more peace. You write so beautifully.

Mirne said...

Your heart's grief won't just go away … mine hasn't yet, and it's been three years since Freyja left us (and a year since Kees did).

You will not forget.

Write it all down … write down everything you remember about your pregnancy and everything about the birth. It's difficult but it will mean that in the future sometime -- when you feel strong enough to read everything again -- the story you have written will help refresh your memory.

Big (((hugs))) to you.

xxx

still life angie said...

i have never read that about dna and your babies...such a beautiful image. i love thinking about carrying a part of them in my blood, traveling around my body. thank you for sharing that. i love these little tidbits of knowledge i pick up that bring me a moment of quiet contemplation. abrazos y besos.

Lea said...

Hi There... just came across your blog and I am sorry about your sweet William. I am sorry you are joining us on this horrendous journey. It is still so raw.
I too, love the DNA idea.... how wonderful. Our babies are truly a part of us forever.

Thank you....xo

Rachele Stuart said...

Thank you so much for that bit about the DNA. To think I have a bit of Gideon and of Butterball with me forever - not in that spiritual sense, but in a real, tangible, physical way - makes me feel wonderful, all things considered. *hugs* for you.

Lani said...

thank you for that. like everyone else, i did not know the dna idea and i love knowing that silas is still with me. 8 months out and i feel as lost and disconnected then ever from him.

so sorry about your william. sending you much love
xoxo (elmcitymom)

Michele said...

I dont know how we learn to live... Somehow life goes on and we are forced to take one step at a time. Most days, I have to tell myself that I am living so that my children can live through me. It usually works. But on the worst days... I can't cope. Who ever expects to hear the words "My children are dead" and find that they are coming from their own lips?

loribeth said...

Here from LFCA. I have never heard that about our children's DNA staying with us, but it makes sense & I love the idea!

I am sorry for your loss. :(

Fireflyforever said...

I carry her DNA - WOW. I love that. I remember crying when I stopped bleeding after Emma's birth because I felt like my last physical link to her was leaving my body. I'm so glad to know it wasn't.

Dalene said...

Wow, this is a beautiful post. It's amazing to think that we carry our lost babies' dna with us. There is comfort in that thought. In some ways, I am glad I have my c/s scar because it is visible proof that I carried and gave birth to Baker. I hated it at first, but now it's a part of me and a reminder of him.