Friday, April 10, 2009

Outside

I should have known I wasn't ready for the world yet, but it was an experiment. Easter is this weekend, and we were supposed to be bringing our brand new baby to both families so they could exclaim and fight over who was going to hold him next. Instead, I'm going empty-bellied and empty-handed. The thought of being in the midst of so many people, not strangers but family, people who are grieving, too, who might want to talk about him, hug me, comfort us... already I'm shrinking into myself just at the thought. 

So, tired of pulling frozen food out, we went out to a little local diner for dinner. That was a mistake. The first wave that hit me was, "The last time I was here, my baby was alive." I'd been doing that prodromal labor thing that day - it was the first day, actually, and I kept contracting, wondering if this was really "it." Our oldest son was with us, and we all squeezed into a booth. I remember M. moved the table so I could get my belly in.

But now I slid in without a problem, no longer worried about negotiating my bulk or protecting William from the table edge. He was gone. He should have been here beside me, either in his car seat, or tied to me in a sling. Was it going to be like this forever, I wondered, as I opened the menu to hide my tears. Every place we went, would I think, "The last time I was here, my baby was alive?" 

I stared at the menu and I couldn't think. My brain actually wouldn't work. I ordered something. I don't know what it was. M. later said, "I was surprised you ordered that - you had it the night before." I told him I forgot, which wasn't true. It was just the only thing I could think of, because I'd had it recently. The menu was a blur. 

When the protection of my menu disappeared, I blinked at the brightness, the sound of conversation, every voice too strident and painful to my ears. It was all too much, sensory overload. I could barely eat my food. I had to remind myself how. Chew and swallow. What was the last thing I'd eaten, I wondered, before William died? What had been his last meal? I hoped there was some sweetness in it.

On the way home, I stared at the cars going by, the strip malls, the gas stations. Life was going on out here, and it was so painful to me I could barely take a full breath. I wanted home, the smallness of my room, the comfort of my bed. I wanted to curl up and die, and if I couldn't die, then at least I could sleep, and if I couldn't sleep, I could cry myself hoarse in the darkness.

I was too exposed out here, too fragile, too vulnerable. I felt as if I had been turned inside out, and all my nerve endings were now on the outside, raw and rubbing up against everything. I didn't resent the world for going on. That was as it should be. But I wasn't part of it, not now, not yet. I was still wandering, lost in the darkness, and coming out into the world was just painful and disorienting. I didn't belong here.

I don't know how I'm going to handle Easter. I'm afraid I'm going to bolt from the room the minute my brother-in-law opens his mouth to pray before the meal. I'm afraid I'm going to burst into tears. Or finally turn to my sister, who keeps saying, "I know it must be easier for you, because you have a knowledge of the birth process..." and scream at her, "Do you think a firefighter mourns the family he lost in a house fire any less because he knows how a fire is started?" 

But I probably won't. I'll probably sit there, blinking at the brightness, the noise, just like I did in the restaurant, and wish I was somewhere else until I can crawl back into bed again and cry.

6 comments:

John Hedtke said...

It's okay to say "I'm sorry, but I can't deal with people right now" and ~not~ go.

About 30 years ago, my mother was killed in an accident at a playground. It was unusual and just one of them accidents that happen. But I noticed that with the dozens of people calling the house that it became us having to comfort them and deal with their reactions and it was really draining after awhile. I was glad to know that they were sending condolences and all, but having to deal with their stuff TOO just took a lot of work.

I have a feeling that a great deal of what might happen is that everyone's trying to process this and they're going to be looking to you to talk about everything. Unless you were to set up a press conference kinda thing, you'll have to tell the same stuff a lot to different people and it's going to be difficult even if no-one says any of the stupid wrong things people do.

My suggestion is that unless you're feeling ready for this that you might send a message that you thank them all for your concern and that you love them, but you're not ready to deal with people right now... but you've been writing a lot about what happened and posted photos of William George and so on here and they're very welcome to read about it (which will also eliminate your need to retell this to everyone).

I don't know what the guidelines may be for when you should start trying to make it out into the world after a devastating tragedy like this, but it's safe to say that no-one could deny you the right to not deal with a whole group of people this soon after it happened.

You have my permission not to go. And if you wish, you can blame it on me and say you got advice from a retired priest (true) who said all this. :)

Inanna said...

I'll manage. Part of it is that we're all trying to keep my mother from being alone at Easter... my father just died in Feb, and she doesn't drive far, so it's up to us to pick her up and take her to my sister's, where we're having Easter. We're closest in distance to my mom, and she's on our way to my sister's (an hour and a half away). I know I'll just have to emotionally prepare myself as much as I can before I go.

Amy Primorac said...

Maybe you should consider just having your mom to your place. I agree with John...sometimes dealing with other people's grief is actually much harder and hurtful than processing your own. I think that everyone would understand, and if they don't...well...f*&k them.

John Hedtke said...

Amy's idea is a good one. I have a feeling that your families are going to be doing everything they can to be supportive, but it could easily be Just Too Much (which I've little doubt your mother could understand).

At the very least, you might want to park the car around the corner or otherwise out of sight so you can go hide in it if things get to be too much. Otherwise, this may feel like you're being flayed to death with kindness and will just be way too much to handle and may even set you back some (I do hope not).

Dalene said...

It's OK to be selfish right now and to do what is best for you. Withdrawing and conserving what little energy you have is totally normal. I'm a year out from my son's death and am finding Easter with the whole family to be difficult today. B should be here toddling about and instead all I can think about is that we buried him exactly one year ago today.

John Hedtke said...

So, Dear One, how did things go with the family if you've energy to share this with us?