My mother had a child die before I was born - her name was Denise, and they called her "Denny." She was three when she was hit by a car. I was told about it, and there was a grave, but my mother never visited it. She never talked about it much. I knew that I'd had another sister, but that was about it. When I was older and could drive, I went to visit the grave. I was the only one who ever did, as far as I know. My older brothers and sisters (who had been there when she was hit) never talked much about her, either.
My mother did keep her picture on the wall with ours. She was beautiful - a little blonde pixie with dark brown eyes. But there was no yearly memory of her (I didn't even know her birthday until I was an adult). I always wondered, especially after I had my own children, how someone could lose a child and not acknowledge it that way. I imagined the pain was so great, maybe she just had to block it out as much as she could?
Of course, now I know what it feels like. But I still can't imagine doing what she did... living as much as possible in denial. I'm sure she thought she was "moving on," but I don't know if she really did. Especially since she once said to me, "When you came along, I was afraid to get close to you, because I'd already lost one child." And I've always been estranged, in that way, from my mother. There's a wall there she put up after her daughter died, and there's no getting past it for me, the daughter who came afterward.
There's a name on this journey for babies born after a loss - they call them "Rainbow Babies." The loss of a child has been like the longest, raging storm, a dark, harrowing place we weather as mothers of those born without breath, but as the clouds begin to clear, the sun finally shines, and there is a rainbow that finally appears...
I was my mother's "Rainbow Baby." But there was never any real joy in it for her - only fear. Fear to risk, fear of being hurt again, fear of loss, fear of loving me.
I don't ever want to do that to another child.
The other day I was watching Oprah (it's amazing what I'll do to distract myself nowadays...) and the father of Susan Smith's children was on (remember her? The one who put her two little boys in the car and pushed it into a lake? Don't get me started...)
Anyway, he went on to get married again and have another baby... and he held that little baby for the first time and whispered - I promise you, I won't let what happened to my boys make me afraid to love you.
That's what I want to be able to say to another baby. I'm not there yet, but I hope to be. As a mother, you always wonder if you're going to be able to love another baby as much, after you have your first and are pregnant with your second. And after you lose a child this way, there's that fear... how can I ever let myself love another baby, get close again? My mother made the choice not to. I don't want to do that.
I don't ever want to let fear get in the way of loving another baby.
8 comments:
I feel the same. In fact, I sometimes worry about the opposite - will I utterly smother a new child with all the pent up love I have for Emma as well as all the love I would naturally feel for a new baby? I already hold my two older children so much more tightly when I hug them.
I hope we can all overcome that fear. I wish I could have known the mother I would have been without knowing loss. Sadly, I will never know. I am so sorry to hear you lost a sister. There are just far too many members of this awful club.
Wishing for a Rainbow for you....
My aunt lost a child at 3 also.. he was sick when he was born and had downs syndrom with lots of the complications that go along with it. They knew that he would die young, and had the funeral arangments made. I think it was 8 years after he died that I managed to go to the cemetary.. it unleashed such strong emotions and I told my aunt about it a few years ago. She said that she hadn't been back very often.. she just couldn't.. she felt like every time she went there she wanted to dig up his body and TAKE HIM HOME! He's been gone for 17 years and she still feels this way. I'm so sorry for your sister, and the fact that your mom put up that wall of being afraid to love again. I'm feeling it easy to love the baby in my belly.. but I think I feel a little reserved, a little doubtful that she'll actually get to come home with us.. but I told myself early on that if all I have with this baby is 9 short sweet months, I'm going to make the best of it, and really LOVE her! As Jill said, I'll probably smother her even more than I did when Gwen was born! (and that was and continues to be a lot!! haa)
This is so insightful. I too don't want to hold back my love when the time comes. I hope I can
I don't want to hold back with my future children. I hope none of us do. What I'm more afraid of, is the pregnancy, I'm afraid I won't bond during the pregnancy out of fear. Or when I do have this rainbow baby, I hope I don't try to overcompensate and over-spoil the baby, because I never got to spoil my first. So many questions, only time will tell us what we'll be like.
((hugs))
What a beautiful post. I am inspired...I feel the same way.
Your loss is so recent and my first year of being a babylost mama is nearly over... and yet here you are teaching me a thing or two about grief and motherhood.
This was a very thought-provoking post for me. Thankyou for sharing.
Very thought provoking. I'm like some of the others--I worry that I'll love this growing baby "too" much. I have so much pent-up mothering energy to give and have no living children to give it to. But I also think that I'll let a lot of trivial annoyances related to parenting slide off my back, because they just don't matter. I think I will be better at not sweating the small stuff. And that will be a gift from Baker.
Post a Comment