Yesterday, I cleared space for William's garden.
Last year, we had vegetables. Last year, the kids helped me plant and water and harvest tomatoes and cucumbers, broccoli and spinach, zucchini and eggplant.
This year, since I don't have my babe in arms and I'm not too busy to dig in the dirt like I thought I would be, we're creating a forever garden for our William. I chose my favorite perennials - daisies, black-eyed susans, poppies, lupine, yarrow...and, of course, forget-me-nots and sweet william.Today was for digging, preparing. Next week, I'll plant flowers and leave room for a marker, something with my little man's name.
I can't choose what yet. Not yet.
Being outside hurts. Everything is coming to life, and watching flowers come up instead of watching my son grow is going to hurt, too, I imagine. But I want something for him, something that will remind me, when the pain begins to change (I hear it does, I'm holding onto that hope) that I did something to remember him. I want to have somewhere to go, a place to honor his memory a year from now, two, three...
Three seasons I spent anticipating this one. I got pregnant in late summer, and packed and moved our whole house last August. As the leaves turned, I finally unpacked the last box, and by the time the snow fell, I was growing big and playing "games" with my baby - poke and prod. I shivered my way through February and thought, "Spring will be here soon. My baby will be here soon." Just a few more months. One more turn of the seasons.
Now spring is here, and my baby is gone.
But the robins are everywhere. Everywhere. I saw the first one on the day William was born dead, hopping across our back lawn, cocking a curious black eye in my direction. Harbinger of spring. Messenger of death, now, at least for me.
I sat in a chair on the patio for over an hour yesterday, watching them. An hour. Still and quiet, I just sat. I didn't think about all the things I needed to do, or feel moved, even, to get up and do them, like I normally would. I sat and watched the wind move the trees, just starting to show the buds of their leaves. I sat and watched the robins searching for food - they were incredibly happy I'd unearth a smorgasbord of worms for them to choose from in the dirt for William's garden. I sat and watched the shadows change as the sun moved.
Nothing seems important now. All of the work I did in preparation for his arrival - keeping the house clean, just in case I went into labor that day, stocking the house with food, catching up and getting ahead with work - none of it mattered. Who cares now if the dishes are done? Who cares if the floor needs vacuuming? Who cares?
Now I just sit and stare and cry and wonder how I missed it before, how incredibly vulnerable we are, how fragile life really is. Nature wins. Now I can't do anything but breathe and feel alive, even if it hurts. I don't have a choice anymore. That veil has been pulled aside, and I can't unknow what I know now. I can't even keep the tears from falling, like rain to wet the soil.
5 comments:
We are, perhaps thankfully, rarely reminded that life is a fragile, precious, now-you-see-it-now-you-don't proposition very often. I think a flower garden to remember William is a wonderful idea. Make sure it's got a lot of color to it. You may also want to plant some violas and some of those lovely deep purple wave petunias that have that sweet, pervasive smell so the garden can make itself known even when you can't see it.
Hugs, Dear One.
Sweet william are very very fragrant,kind of like lilacs (which are my all time favorite flower, next to daisies and black-eyed-susans)and of course, incredibly apropos... I have yellow, red, purple, pink. It will be incredibly vibrant, I think. They say perennials won't really come alive until the third year or so, since I'm planting from seed. Time tests my patience beyond limits these days.
I am so sorry for your loss. William is beautiful. I wish he were here in your arms. I read your birth story and I am truly heartbroken for you as I know the pain all too well. All of your thoughts are completely normal. It takes time to accept that it wasn't your fault. I remember apologizing to my husband over and over before I even delivered my daughter. I hope you find strength and peace, even though I know it will take time. As cruel as the world seems now, please know that time is the only thing that helps, as cliche as that sounds. It doesn't go away, but the pain will get duller. I had to tell myself that time and time again that tomorrow has just got to be better today. Hugs to you and your family.
the spring after serenity died was so incredibly difficult- i had imagined spending it outdoors with her. This year is easier, and i am trying to enjoy it *for* her, in her honor.
we planted native flowers in a shade tree as a garden for her, and everything is coming up beautifully this spring. it's lovely and heartbreaking
My son was supposed to be born 6 days after my birthday, 10 days after my husband's. That time for us will never be the same, we will always miss the birthday in between ours. This mothers day will be equally as hard for me, I had just found out my son was a boy a few days before.
I like the idea of the garden; the flowers will die during the winter but be "reborn" and bloom again in the spring. What a lovely way to think of your William.
((hugs mama))
Post a Comment