I wish I could have been here this morning before sunrise.
I'm not Jewish. I'm not anything, really. Spiritual more than religious. I guess I'm really just a spiritual mutt.
But meaningful religious ritual is often moving to me, and on this day, I could have sat for hours by the wailing wall with the believers, honoring the sun returning to its position at the moment the universe was created, according to the Hebrew faith, 5,769 years ago.
It returns to that position only once every twenty-eight years.
Today, I could have used that conscious reminder. M. opened the curtains this morning for the first time in a week. I was surprised to see it - the sun's up. It's still shining. There really is still light in the world. Tomorrow, there will be a full moon pulling the tides and it won't be the last. The cycles continue, the world keeps moving, round and round.
Of course I wish my William could have seen the sun come up today... and twenty-eight years from today... and twenty-eight years after that. At least twenty-eight years after I was gone from here. I wish his place in the cycle had been longer, that his time spent here in this world had been more than the short life he had in my womb.
But I can't stop the sun from shining like a grieving Demeter, freezing everything in my mourning shroud. My body reminds me... my milk is drying up. My bleeding is slowing. My uterus contracts, slowly pulled back to its previous size. I am part of this cycle, turning on my own axis as our planet spins, and it moves around the sun, and the world goes on...
And in my heart, I know... it's all sacred and worth honoring, every moment, not just this year, one in twenty-eight. Every moment, every second, every precious breath.
I'm wishing for a wailing wall today, a solid place to settle, a touchstone, a cool place to rest the hot, wet press of my cheek and mourn this unbelievably painful, bittersweet journey of being human.
4 comments:
I remember as we were traveling into the hospital - speeding madly that October morning at about 7am, the sun was giving us the most beautiful sunrise. My midwife, who was driving the car, said "look at that beautiful sunrise for your baby"... That is still one of the most poignant memories I have of that morning. Still now, whenever I see a sunrise, all my layers are stripped away and I'm laid bare and right back where I started on that morning, longing to hold my daughter in my arms.
I think that when I have another child, if I can, I will take that little one on the very first morning of its life outside the womb, and we will go outside together (weather permitting, otherwise we will watch it from a window) and watch that first sunrise come up, and remember Josie for a little while, who's light died as the sun came up on the morning of her birth, whereas the new baby's light will shine for her on the earth. Maybe Josie will be able to see from behind the veil. Who knows...
XXXX
Beautifully written. Both you and Jay.
Powerful stuff, Jay. I wish you well.
John
Shine on. That's all we can do, and maybe the best gift. Shine on.
Post a Comment