I wanted an April baby. I kept rubbing my belly and whispering, "Wait 'til April, little one..." I don't even know why. Silly, superficial reasons. April is a brighter, prettier month. I like April's birthstone better. (Diamond!) I like 4's (even number) better than 3's. So I wanted an April baby and I asked him to wait.
And he did. He waited until April. But by then, he was dead.
I never thought I'd be looking at a calendar with "May 2009" at the top and not be holding my baby.
It never even crossed my mind - at least, not consciously.
But hindsight is 20/20, and now I can see the signs. I know they weren't predictive, and I know, at least intellectually I know, that I probably couldn't have consciously heeded them and prevented William's death. But they were there. So very many of them. Not just current ones, either. There have been signs I would at some point lose a child going back to... well, as far back as I can remember.
The first thing was the loss of my sister, Denise. She was three when she was hit by a car. From the time I was young, I was fascinated with the story, and horrified with my mother's loss. How could she bear it? I'd never known my sister, she died before I was born - but I truly couldn't imagine losing a child, how someone could actually survive the pain.
Then there was the recurring dream I've had since I was in high school. I used to sleepwalk, and go around looking through cupboards and under things, frantically saying, "Where's my baby? Where's my baby?" I never remembered them... but other people told me about them. My ex said at least once every 6 months I'd do that, in college. Eventually I stopped walking/talking in my sleep... but Michael has said I've woken up saying that phrase before. And even when I was awake, sometimes, that phrase would just "come" to me. "Where's my baby?" It made no sense at the time. But it does now.
In the past two years, I've written three stories centered around the death of a child. I even had another author say to me that they thought "playing the dead baby card" in a story was, in effect, cheating, a betrayal to the reader. I always defended my decision... babies die. It happens. People lose children, it's horrifying, it's awful. But in reality... I had no idea.
I was also worried about this pregnancy from the beginning. I had all the genetic testing done, concerned about my "advanced maternal age." Like most mothers, I breathed a sigh of relief after that twelfth week, when I passed the highest percentage risk of miscarriage. But that nagging worry never really left. I worried that he would be deformed, that something would go wrong during labor. I kept hitting the tree, but missing the target.
At about twenty weeks into my pregnancy, I remember the doctor putting the doppler to my belly and taking a little longer than usual to find his heartbeat. He looked worried at first and I commented on it. He said, "I found it pretty quick. It's when you put it on there and move it around and around for minutes and hear nothing but silence. That's just..." He shook his head, unable to express it, and I felt a stab of dread. Premonition? I don't know..
I was really extremely overly emotional at the end of my pregnancy, and I was especially sensitive to stories about children dying. There were two horrible, prominent news stories during that time, one about a father dropping his four year old daughter off an overpass and the other was Baby Grace. Both of them left me literally incapacitated for days. I cried all day long about them. I kept wondering what was wrong with me? Sure, these stories were sad, and in the past, I would have felt that, but this was different. It was as if I was mourning something for myself, as if these were my losses, somehow, and it made no sense. Not at the time.
I know it sounds like I'm saying, "It was meant to be" ... but I don't believe that either. I just know, there were signs. There were things pointing toward this, or something like it. I don't understand it, and I probably never will, but I don't want to leave these things unacknowledged either.
And I'm not the only one who had this happen. M. said he felt like he was "going through the motions" when getting ready for William to arrive. He got the birth tub ready, he picked up groceries, but there was just a feeling, like it wasn't going to be necessary. It wasn't conscious, and he couldn't have voiced it before William died... it only made sense after he was gone. And I understood that. I experienced M. as a little removed from this pregnancy, too. I thought it was because it was our third - we already had a boy, a girl, this was old hat. I would ask him, "Are you ready for this baby?" and he'd say, "Well, I don't really have a choice, do I?" I was a little hurt, at the time, by his response... but now...
I think part of him knew. I think a part of me knew, too. Neither of us could have said that out loud and we probably would have denied it or chalked it up to pregnancy-parental-paranoia at the time. But with William gone, looking back, I think M. was right. Ready-or-not, things were going to unfold, however they were meant to.
We didn't really have a choice.
12 comments:
Thanks for putting this in to words. I have felt this too, like there were little signs all along the way. I would never have voiced them during the pregnancy and I'm sure if she'd been born alive, I would not have thought twice about them, but now they are so glaringly obvious to me. People think I'm nuts, but it makes sense to me. Good to see I'm not alone.
Oh no! I'm so sorry you are going though this, too. The morning the day before Fionn was born still, I was speaking to one of my class participants and said to him, I don't take this child or my pregnancy for granted, and that if anything ever happened to my child, I would be grateful for every minute I had with him, being pregnant with him. less than 12 hours later I was haunted by my words as i stood in the delivery room after being told, there was no heart beat.
Yes. I feel this so sharply. I remember seeing a documentary about a stillborn baby called Cosmo when I was about 14. When I was pregnant with Iris I dwelt on Cosmo's story, I even discussed it with a friend who had a stillborn brother. I think back now and wonder if I knew all along.
This is so interesting. Your description of your recurring dream took my breath away.
I don't know if I saw any signs but I have always felt sad. My whole life. Even when I was a child. Perhaps I was waiting for this. And after 29 years of a vague sadness I now know why.
Or perhaps life was saying "I'll give you something to cry about".
I felt similar in ways.. I had 'bad' dreams about the baby being born early, and holding him in my hands.. alive, but knowing he was too little and that he'd have to die. Not that he was born too early, 39 weeks was well within that 'safety' zone! I remember the Sunday before he was born (on a Tuesday 1am) I was pushing at my belly, willing him to move.. Shaun was talking to him, asking what he wanted his name to be.. and at one moment, I pushed and thought... it feels like he's dead.. just the way his body moved against my push like there was no life to it.. all the next day, I tried to get him to move, even imagined a couple of little movements, but I never felt 'worried' I did, but I didn't want to really admit it.. I think I already knew.. and going to the hospital would just confirm it.. and I didn't really want to know.
Funny how you wanted William to wait til April.. I started contracting pretty majorly in August... I DID NOT want an August baby.. my family has like 15 people born in August, and I LOVE September.. it's the start of Fall and one of my favorite months.. I kept saying, wait til September baby boy! Why couldn't I have just continued laboring and had him in August? I feel so selfish for wishing that he'd wait.
I can also look back and see indications that something was not right. Though I think your dreams are stunning.
When we were debated whether to have children, I read the book The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I was so touched by the descriptions of a grieving mother, and I told my husband that it was the first time I really connected with the idea of being a mom, but that it was only through the sadness over the child who was gone. I thought I was weird.
And I also felt like I as going through the motions when we bought items. It was like pulling teeth.
it's interesting, wrestling in hindsight with that haunting feeling of foresight. i felt this, too. still do. wondering if i knew all along, if the caution i felt was clairvoyance. it's hard to know what to do with this. and one reason i can't think too much, too long about my present state - that worry that any thoughts beyond the present will signal something.... something not good.
thanks so much for your comment on my blog. i'm so sorry you have to know this pain. i'm glad to know you're out there though.
There was a thread about this on the UK forum that I sometimes use and it ran to 30-40 posts. It was incredible how many of had had some sense of something "different" or "disconcerting" - mostly without anything physical to cause it. I actually posted on one of my due date clubs when I was 28 weeks pregnant about my fear of stillbirth. Emma was my third - I'd never felt that with either of my other two and I honestly could never picture life after the baby was born. My husband has admitted that he sobbed in the car on the way home from work on the day I went into labour. He was so frightened all the way through my pregnancy. Like you, I don't read this as knowing "it was meant to be" but I do think it points to the incredibly deep bond parents have with their unborn child - an intuition beyond any rational explanation. I wish we'd all been wrong though :(
Our client that had the stillbirth said something very similar.
I'm still thinking about you on a continuous basis Dawn.
That's so weird, I felt that way too. I just HAD to get married before the baby was born, in the back of my mind- "in case something went wrong." Consiously, I wanted to do it because I didn't want to have a baby out of wedlock (call me traditional). And as I was being wheeled into the Operating Room for the c-section, I yelled back at my husband to call my mom, once again in the back of my head just in case. I would have called it being paranoid before, that every mom though that, but I guess there was a nagging in the back of my head I didn't want to address.
No, there's never a choice. If I had a choice, I'd have died instead. If I had a choice, I would have enjoyed each second instead of wishing morning sickness or sciatica away. If I had a choice... Perhaps it's the lack of choice that makes our pain even harder to bear. That knowledge that we couldnt have done things differently...
Sending you big hugs...
Its crazy when you are on this horrible ride, you think you are alone and then all of a sudden another mother who has lost a baby says just what you are thinking. Ella was due around February 10th. So close to Valentines, which I loved. Everyone thought she would come in January. I didn't want a January baby, I wanted a February one. I wanted the prettier birthstone, closer to Valentines. So stupid now. I got my February baby, but I got her dead. I would give anything to have an ugly January birthstone to have Ella here now...
Post a Comment