M. and I met online back when AOL charged by the hour. Luckily for our bank accounts, we were local to each other, and quickly switched to phone conversations. And those often lasted long into the wee hours of the morning in those falling-in-love days.
Last night was reminiscent of one of those, a sweet surprise.
M. and I started talking when we got into bed and didn't stop until the birds were starting to sing outside our window. It's been over ten years now since those first phone conversations, and I love the man I married more now than I ever thought possible.
But those ten years have been filled with a lot of ups and downs - especially the last six or so. We've had a great deal of trials thrown our way in those years, and William is the last (but certainly not the least) in a long line of tragedies and calamities that have come along in the past decade.
I've had people comment on how strong our marriage is, how amazing that we're still together. I know couples who would have fallen apart or turned on each other instead of to each other in our circumstances. I'm grateful for what we have, believe me. We each have plenty of faults, but somehow we manage, even in the midst of pain, to keep loving each other.
But there are times I forget how blessed I am. There have been times when I was ready to give up. There have been times when M. was, too. There have been times we've been mean, or distant, or indifferent to each other. There are times, sometimes long stretches of time, when we take each other for granted.
Last night wasn't any of those.
Last night we connected, spooned in the darkness and talking into the first light of morning, in a way we haven't in a long, long time. We reminisced, we waxed nostalgic, we laughed. For the most part, our conversation wasn't about William...but it was because of him.
What a gift, in the midst of the pain of our baby's death, to be open to such love.
Thank you, William.
I love you.
9 comments:
Here's to M and your love for each other.
I'm grateful, too, ... for my man.
xx Ines
I came over from BabyLoss Directory- thanks for sharing your story with us. It helps to know we are not alone. ((hugs)) Emily from Stepping Stones (http://www.steppingstonesblog.blogspot.com)
I'm glad you two have each other, and that you can count your blessings even amidst you pain.
xoxo
This is lovely Inanna. It is a wonderful thing you have with M. And wonderful that beautiful William's legacy is one of love and connection.
Beautiful. Its simply beautiful what our angels bring to us even though they are so far away.
A wonderful caring husband is the most beautiful thing we can have. I have one of those too :-)
Sigh. How sweet that you found a little light in your darkness.
BTW, when I read that passage in Twilight (the one on the side of your blog) I thought of my son Logan too. How fitting that you put that on your blog.
what a beautiful story...
This is lovely. We've talked a lot with our therapist about how there are points of light in our after that are gifts from Baker: a strong marriage, a razor focus on what is really important in life, and the way that we intend to parent his little brother.
Post a Comment