Friday, May 1, 2009

One Month

One month.

Women who experience a loss like this seem to do it in stages - and they tend to coincide with the developmental stage their baby would have been in, had they lived. That's my current theory. At least, that's what I've noticed in the brief time I've been reading the journeys of others through this dark landscape.

My theory, at least anecdotally, seems to be bearing itself out.

Today I'm imagining my one-month-old. A one-month-old William. What would he be like? He'd still be a tiny little guy, but growing, nursing around the clock, keeping us awake nights. We'd be taking long naps together in the afternoon, he and I, and I'd be washing diapers constantly, too. (If he was big enough to fit into them yet!) I'd be carrying him in a sling most of the time, and tucking him into his car seat whenever we had to go out.

They change so very much that first month. What color would his eyes be now? Would they be lightening like mine or darkening into his Daddy's deep brown hue? And all that gorgeous hair he had... would it be falling out, like some newborn hair does, or would he have kept it, I wonder? He'd have his alert times - his eyes open and exploring our faces, memorizing us - and his sleepy times, probably sucking his thumb like his sisters and brother did, his breath like a soft breeze over sweet grass on my cheek when I rested beside him. We'd be just discovering his moods, his temperament. Fiery little Aries, most likely, just as lively outside as he had been inside.

I'm sure his daddy would have been walking him around a lot at night to give Mommy a break, like he did the other two between nursing when they didn't seem to want to sleep. I can see William's tiny body propped up on his big shoulder, while Daddy sang him the "Gone Fishin'" song and, eventually, any and every song he could think of... (strangely, Daddy singing his off-key version of "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC quieted both of the other two down... don't ask me!)

William and I would be spending every day alone together until the littles would come home from school and rush to see him and say hello. Z. would act the little mommy, asking to change and burp and feed him all the time. (Sorry, sweetie, only Mommy can do that last one!) I can see her natural mothering tendency just coming out, cooing and talking to him just like she did when she held him in the hospital, exclaiming over his every little perfection.

And Daddy would come back from work to find his little family, William and I snuggled together somewhere, on the couch or in our bed, his son nursing and his wife reading a book, or typing (one handed!) on the laptop, the other two kids jumping around him, as excited as our cocker spaniel to have him finally home.

Our days would be full of the sweetly mundane, and they would pass so fast that I would look at the calendar today, May 1 - and wonder where the time had gone, and exclaim over how big my baby boy had grown, how much he was changing, that he wasn't my "little newborn" anymore. And I would be taking lots of pictures so I could remember our last, sharing them, our precious little man, with friends and family, always the proud mama - don't I have the most beautiful baby in the world? Isn't he a dream?

A dream. Yes. Yes, he is.

He was.

A dream I dreamed for nearly a year before he was born still and I woke up into the nightmare my life has become since he died. Just a sweet, heartbreaking dream.

If he were alive, I might have glanced at the calendar today and smiled - a month! Time flies! But I would have probably been too busy to really think about it, to consider it more than just a little milestone, a brief marker of time as we moved through our day, our week, our life together, William and I.

But he's not alive, and hasn't been for a month. All the mothers who gave birth around the same time I did are doing all of those things with their one month olds that I imagined, but I'm not. They're lamenting how fast the time has gone, how much their babies have grown and changed, how their tiny newborn is now a developing little person, and I'm lamenting that all I have left of my baby is a memory box, an urn with his ashes, and some pictures.

Time goes on, but the image of William stays the same, fixed, unchanging. This is the image I will have of him forever, and nothing more. His lips and fingernails and face will always be red with pooled blood, his skin beginning to fill with fluid, to wrinkle and slough off.

He'll never grow and change over time, learn to track objects with his eyes, or to find his thumb for comfort. He'll never experience the beauty and joy of his first month in the world, the softness and nourishment of his mother's breast, the sound of his Daddy's sweet songs, the laughter of his siblings, the bright beauty of the afternoon sun streaming into our bedroom windows.

He's a month gone from me, and it might as well be an eternity. Today I woke with the weight of that knowledge hanging around my neck, so unbearably heavy I didn't want to move, now or ever again.

16 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

You're sweet William is so beautiful. His peaceful look is so, so familiar to me. One month - wow is all I can say. Wow that you have been able to put these incredible words down, so soon after the trauma you have been through. You are one brave and inspirational Mama.

ezra'smommy said...

I am so sorry that sweet William is not in your arms where he should be. What a beautiful precious boy! I agree that this journey of grief has stages, or layers as I like to call them. But one of the most important things that anyone said to be in the early days of my grief was that this journey is not linear - its not something where you will move from one stage to the next. I remember feeling so shocked when a few weeks in I felt slightly better, only to be knocked on my ass once again. All this to say don't pressure yourself to move linearly forward with the months of the calendar - sadly you're in for a wild ride. Much love to you.

Catherine W said...

Your William is a beautiful boy. All that gorgeous hair.
I am so sorry. xx

Shannon Ryan said...

William is absolutely beautiful.. I'm so sorry, he's not in your arms right now.

Ya Chun said...

all i can say is that I am sorry.

Sophie said...

William is so beautiful. I'm so sorry that you didn't get the life and baby boy you envisaged.

Your words are beautiful and powerful. It might not seem like it now but blogging will help... not only because you will meet other mamas on this same journey but also because it helps, as time passes, to go back and see how far you've come in processing this horrible thing that's happened to you.

I'm so sorry.

Rachele Stuart said...

The milestones are so very hard. *hugs* to you today. I had never seen a picture of William. He is such an amazingly beautiful boy. I am so very sorry that today is a landmark and not just another day passing with your son.

Michele said...

I hope that heaven's timeline is truly a second there and a lifetime here so that by the time they realize I'm not with them, I'm there... ready to hold them again.

I still think in days and weeks and months... It's been 15 months today since Nicholas was born, 14.5 months since his twin sister Sophia was born, and 5m1w since their little brother Alexander was born. And each of those days is utterly and totally hard...

forward tumble said...

I'm so sorry you are on this road. It's the toughest journey any woman can sometimes be forced to make. All your descriptions and thoughts resonate with me and bring back the time, memories of the first month.

I have found, despite the agony, my child has been a remarkable, magical, wonderful gift.
One of my closest friends had her baby 10 days after we lost Fionn and for ten months every time I met them I wondered, what Fionn would be up to at that point in time. Her little girl is now on the brink of changing into a toddler and I finally find peace, for I don't know, can no longer imagine what Fionn would look like. To me it no longer hurts to imagine, what he would look like for I know what he looks like to me, my little baby boy. He is the perfect boy, forever by my side.

Maybe you like this poem:
Don't think of him as gone away.
By Ellen Brenneman.

Don't think of him as gone away,
His journey's just begun.
Life holds so many facets,
This earth is only one.

Just think of him as resting
From the sorrows and the tears,
In a place of warmth and comfort,
Where there are no days and years.
Think how he must be wishing
That we could know today,
How nothing but our sadness,
Can really pass away.

And think of him as living,
In the hearts of those he touched,
For nothing loved is ever lost,
And he was loved so much.

Sending you hugs and strength to keep going, you are a wonderful inspiring mother.

Paige said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of William. He's a beautiful baby and I wish he were in your arms. xo

still life angie said...

So so sorry.

Fireflyforever said...

Your son is so beautiful and so are your words. I couldn't and still can't do the whole imagining Emma at one month, two, six. Even though I've been through the milestones with my other two children something prevents me from going there. I only ever see her as a newborn. Your words were incredibly poignant to me because each and everyone rang true. Thank you.

Cara said...

I am so very sorry for the pain you are in right now. The visions of our children at every stage are so poignant - and yet they are always babies in our memory.

My Emma - would be 8 years old now - I have no idea what the would look like, but I stare long and hard at the third graders.

*sigh* - Thinking of you as you try to get through each and every day. ((hugs))

Feel free to click over and read our story - I'd love to connect with you.

FattyPants said...

My heart is just breaking for you. I will be praying for you today.

Lynda said...

My heart aches for you, because I too am walking that path right next to you. All I can say is I'm sorry, and I wish none of us had to experience this. I'm praying for you today as William and Johnny play together in heaven.

Dalene said...

I can feel the palpable heaviness of your grief in your words and it is all so familiar. Where I get stuck is that I have trouble imagining what life with a baby would be like, since B was my first. I think I know, but I'm sure I have no idea.