Thursday, May 21, 2009

Stillbirth Certificate

This arrived in the mail today:

Michigan is one of only twenty-one states that offers a certificate of stillbirth.

I feel lucky to live in a state that will at least acknowledge my son's birth, even if it isn't an "official" state or federal document.

No mother who goes through this should have to fight to have her child recognized as a "baby" and not a "fetus." And yet, in twenty-nine states, there are mothers who don't get to have this. They don't happen to live in one of the few states that offer a stillbirth certificate.  

And while I feel grateful... I really do... I'm also outraged. Why doesn't every mother get this? At least, at the very least, why doesn't every mother get some acknowledgment that her baby was born?

I think it's both tragic and reprehensible that I feel lucky to be holding a piece of paper instead of my baby.

5 comments:

Dalene said...

I have my certificate from Massachusetts and am very thankful that it's already the law here, but I wish we both had our boys instead of the piece of paper.

Michele said...

PA doesnt offer this, although I know it's been discussed. It's a real shame...

I'm so glad that you have this. It's one more think that shows how William was in this world.

forward tumble said...

we get the real thing as well, it's from the registration office that does, births, deaths and marriages. It's a gov certificate irish harp and all. it means a lot to me, that piece of paper.

Lynda said...

We live in Arizona. Arizona was the first state to pass this bill. I went to obtain baby Johnny's certificate. It was a HORRIBLE process and I did post a blog about it, one of the first I ever posted. Anyway I ended up getting DEATH certificates in the mail instead of BIRTH certificates. That is a beautiful certificate you have for William.

Dr. Joanne Cacciatore said...

I am just so sorry -- heartbreaking...

www.missingangelsbill.org