Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Request for All the Baby-Loss Mamas

I hate that babies keep dying.

I love having this community of women for support who have experienced this loss - selfishly, I do.

But I hate it when someone else joins this "club." Couldn't William have been the last? Why does it still have to keep happening, over and over? Mothers wander toward us in the darkness, wailing and lost, calling for their babies, and we welcome them with open arms and heavy hearts. 

I'm only a month and a half into this journey, and already I hate it. 

Another mama entered this realm a few weeks ago. She said goodbye to her tiny twenty-week old beautiful baby boy, Simon Alexander, and like the rest of us, she's trying to make sense of it all. Me, I write. Others paint. Others garden. Some write their names in the sand.

This mama is collecting footprints for a project.

So I'm putting a call out, a request to all of you baby-loss mamas who got to take home your baby's footprints...but not your baby.

Will you send your baby's footprints to her?

You can email her here for more details.

Every one of us is holding out our empty arms, longing for our babies, and instead we find the comfort of another woman who is missing her child, too. We might hate to welcome new members, but our support for one another means so much.

Thank you, mamas. Thank you.

5 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

I wanted Hope to be the last, too. And that was in August. In fact, I wished she was the first and last, if she had to die at all. Hah. I hate hearing about the newbies in this club. I hate seeing myself in them, and in their grief. I wish I could make it better for them. For you, for everyone.

Anonymous said...

I wish I was the last newbie in this club, that nobody else had to join. I hate that I know the shock and extreme greif that everyone feels, I wish I only knew this pain. I wish I could make it stop.

xoxo

Teresa L said...

Hi, I just started reading your blog. I joined this club just over two years ago. It is a long process and it never ends. Your words ring true for so many of us. I will send Luke's footprints to your friend. What is she planning to do with them?

Lynda said...

I would love to help your friend. I hate seeing new mommies join this horrible club, but I'm glad I can be here as someone to lean on for them and I also very much appreciate others being there for me.

Cara said...

Each time I silently scream, "Again? Why?" but it just keeps happening. I'll click over...without a doubt.