I heard a baby's heartbeat for the first time since William died.
I thought my own heart would stop.
There we were, sitting and waiting for the OB to come in, and in the next room, there it was, a sudden racehorse gallop... It didn't last long. Twenty seconds, maybe thirty. I froze. I felt like someone had plunged me into ice water. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't move. The nurse came in a moment later and I blinked it away.
Last night I dreamed of that sound, like a drumbeat calling me. I was searching in the darkness, and every breath I took felt as if I'd swallowed glass. Then the sound stopped. It just stopped, and I stood there, paralyzed, unable anymore to follow the sound of his beating heart.
There was just the silence, a stillness beyond measure, and I stood alone, unable to go on. Frozen. Directionless. Lost.
I was crying when I woke up - already crying, my pillow wet.
It was that instant, when we looked for his heartbeat and found only silence, that will forever mark the moment in time I fell, tumbled, was pushed into this land of the lost. Mothers wander here, calling for their babies. The land of milk and tears. We search in vain for the sound of our child's beating heart as a guide. But they are gone from us, silent, behind the veil, no longer in the place where hearts beat and lungs draw breath. They were born into silence, into this world but not of it, their time here spent only as an empty vessel, a tiny boat sailing onward toward infinity.
Like my dream, I cannot follow, but I cannot move forward yet without my heart, the heart that was William, the heart that was supposed to go around my whole life beating outside of my body in his.
I am stuck, frozen in this liminal space, unable to follow the sound of his silent heart and unwilling to leave this place I knew him last.
For me, now, this place is all there is.
This is where I live now.
The land of the lost.
The land of milk and tears.
11 comments:
For a long while after our children died, I heard their heartbeats in my head, then this phantom crying. I would wake in the middle of the night, or not even be able to go to sleep because I'd hear it. Peter says I used to say "I can hear the baby crying but I cant get to him/her." in my sleep. It faded, although sometimes, I still hear their HBs in my head or the crying...
This is such an agonizing feeling. I'm sorry. Your journey is still so raw. It's all so hard.
Sending you strength.
I'm so sorry. I still hear those heartbeats, even though it's been close to 6 years. I wish I could give you a hug right now. You deserve a big hug. You're in my thoughts. I hope you find some comfort, peace, and strength.
I never know what to say on your blog. You write such beautifully descriptive posts and my words fail me. I could send you noises. Sobs, sighs, sharp breaths and of course the mind numbing silence that is so loud it blocks out any other sound. (((HUGS)))
"I could send you noises. Sobs, sighs, sharp breaths and of course the mind numbing silence that is so loud it blocks out any other sound."
*nodding*
I know.
Words are easy. They don't even come close.
I wish I could blog entirely in sounds. It might take my mourning closer to the center of itself.
Comment in sounds all you want when words fail.
They're a relief, a gift. Truly.
What a very true post, for lack of a better word. I still hear Gideon's heartbeat in my mind sometimes. Actually, I got a Build a Bear and recorded his heartbeat from an ultrasound we had done on the little sound thing. So whenever I squeeze my Gideon Bear extra tight, I can truly hear my boys heartbeat. It's healing for me.
*hugs*
Rachele, that's just beautiful... what a wonderful idea! I'm so glad it brings you some comfort.
After Emma was born, I undressed her and held her inside my nightshirt. She lay against my heartbeat and I willed with every last shred of my being to feel a reciprocal heartbeat in her. Silence ... just silence.
This was so vivid. Inanna I can feel your pain through your words, it is so familiar to me.
I wish things could be different for you.
Your words echo my thoughts. I call to my son in the night, searching for him, willing him to come back- and nothing. For a long time I felt phantom kicks from inside, because my body was so used to it. I miss feeling his kicks.
(hugs)
dawn, this post just breaks my heart. as if it weren't already completely broken...
your writing is so painfully beautiful. i love your blog and hate it at the same time...
i think i've finally figured out how to comment on your blog now, if i log into my old blogger account.
christie
Post a Comment