This is what William's ashes came in. We kept them close to us, in our room - because that's where he would be right now, if he were alive, sleeping with us every night. His ashes are barely enough to fill the corner of a plastic bag. It's a huge container for the amount it holds.Then again... I don't know if any box could possibly contain what that one really holds - which is all that's left of our dreams, our hopes, our future for our son.
Over the past month, we've created a sort makeshift memorial on top of the box his ashes came in. M. put the knife he would have cut William's cord with on it. I added my birthing statue, and the kids chose a shell. I love the shell because the top of it reminds me of the top of William's head, the sweet whorls of his hair...
M. ordered a beautiful urn for his ashes, and a gorgeous cedar box to place his other keepsakes in.
The velvet heart box opens to display the urn.
Although we will probably keep it in the box, along with his other things, like the knife, and the bracelets we made and wore, intending to cut them off when he was born and his cord was cut. They're here, still whole.
To give you an idea of how small this urn is, how little of my sweet William there is left in the world - those are my daughter's hands holding him. She's seven.
We bought matching urns for each set of grandparents to put a bit of William's ashes in.
M. is going to order a tag and chain to hang around them with William's name and birthdate.
Today, we went to give these to each set of grandparents.
William's ashes joined my father's in my mother's livingroom.
I thought there couldn't possibly be a more horrible feeling in the world than seeing my live child holding the body of my dead one. But I was wrong. Seeing her holding his ashes was worse.
But I can think of worse things I could have been doing on Mother's Day. It's true. Thanks to the death of my son, I can imagine a lot of worse things in the world.
M. said to me this morning, "Well, you've experienced more of motherhood than any mother should have." Maybe so. But while the "happy" in my Mother's Day was relative today... I think it always was. I just didn't know or understand it in the same way I do now. Now that I've experienced more of motherhood than I ever should have...
We passed an accident driving to the grandparents' today, and M. and the children were annoyed by the delay, but all I kept thinking was, "It could be worse. That could be us." And I hid my tears as we passed the wreckage, knowing on a visceral level now in a way I never had before, just how much worse it could get on Mother's Day, or any other day.
The day William died, the heart of the world cracked open, and I saw its beating red pulse. It opened me up to all the pain in the world, the ache of potential loss of everything in every moment. It also opened me up to all the love there, too, just as vast and infinite and beyond comprehension.
Thank you, William.
I love you.












12 comments:
Truly beautiful. Thank you for sharing some of your innermost thoughts and your precious son, William.
Strength to you
At the beginning of my journey i was so terrified to loose my husband to some freak accident I wouldn't let him go out on his own. 6 months after Fionn died I was very, very (life threatening) ill and John was terrified to loose me as well. Now I'm ok again.
Life is so precious.
You are so strong and so brave and so hurt, I'm so sorry.
much love
This is heartbreaking. Yes, I think we all know more about motherhood now than most do. We've experienced true love but also true pain.
I wish we didn't know this much about motherhood... but here we are. Dresden's urn is similar to Williams, we also shared his ashes with the grandparents. I love the heart box that the urns go into, very beautiful.
When we picked up Dresden's ashes from the funeral home, the tiny white box (with the words 'cremains' gah, i hate that word!)they gave us was so much smaller than I expected, I couldn't believe that was all I had left of my sweet 8lb 1oz baby boy. Happy Mother's day to you.
thank you for sharing all of these pictures. i have similar photos of angel mae's things. maybe i will post them as well. very touching. wishing you peace on this mother's day.
those a gorgeous urns. Very sweet, and nice that you shared with the g-parents.
Yes, we are cracked open and sensitive to the world aren't we? Compassionate.
The urn is beautiful. I've never seen my son's bag of ahes, but we bought an adult redwood urn with a clauddaugh on it. I am sorry this mother's day was so bittersweet. My husband put the promise ring I gave him (also had clauddaughs on it)inside the urn, because he would have received that when he found a girl he loved. They say a clauddaug symbolizes how a boy's heart belongs to his mother until he finds the girl he marries, so I guess my son's heart will always belong to me. I believe William's heart will always belong to you too, because that's the only love he ever knew.
I am thinking of you today.
Hugs momma
Thank you for sharing. Your memorial for William is meaningful and beautiful.
"The day William died, the heart of the world cracked open, and I saw its beating red pulse. It opened me up to all the pain in the world, the ache of potential loss of everything in every moment. It also opened me up to all the love there, too, just as vast and infinite and beyond comprehension."
Yes, oh yes.
Seeing my little girl holding her baby sister in her arms was one of the hardest (and most beautiful) things I have ever had to bear witness to, too.
much love xx
Seeing how tiny William's urn is took me back to the pain in seeing Levi's tiny coffin. It was so hard seeing something that represents death be so small & holding my son.
Thank you for sharing.
We keep their ashes by our bed, too. They have special places throughout the house, but the ashes are always next to wherever we are sleeping, home or abroad.
I kept putting off looking at this post. Your writting leaves me so raw. All I ever can say afterwards is "Yeah" and "Me too!". I love the idea of you putting everything in a little cedar box. I may do that. I too bought a "Willow" person, she holds a wilting flower and is called "Remember". It sits on the shelf in my daughters room with the ones I got from her birth. I bought that one on Mother's Day for myself. For my Logan. Logan also came in the same black container. It took my breath away when I saw your first photo. I guess it's standard though.
On your comment about happiness being relavant and how it could be worse...in the beginning I thought that nothing could be worse then my son dying...and then with horror I realized that wasn't true. My daughter, the one I "know" in this life...her death would do me in all the way. Everyday for weeks I begged God not to take her too. I couldn't survive that. I would refuse to survive. Sad, that the seemingly worse thing in the world...isn't really. There are so many more horrible things. I can not bare the thought of kidnapping. My precious being scared and hurt and trapped out there with some freak and wondering why her Mommy won't protect her won't save her. That is by far the worse thing I can think of. And I do not know how mother's of kidnapped children survive. So yea, it could be a whole lot worse. I try to be thankful that God saved Logan from the pain of this world. I try.
And, once again...I leave in tears. You truly write the most emotion provoking blog for me. I love it, and it scares me. :)
Post a Comment