Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kindness

We have been showered with kindness since William died. We have received cards and letters from so many people expressing their condolences and love and support. I don't think we could possibly thank those folks enough for thinking of and reaching out to us. Every bit of sympathy was a light in the darkness to me in the very early days, and now it buoys me, keeps my head above water when all I want to do is sink into the murky depths of my grief.

And now, every time I look this, I remember the mommy group I've been a part of for almost ten years now, who got together to buy me a bracelet and keychain to remember William:


I feel so loved every time I look at it.
And see his name, and the sign for infinity. Forever.
And if I'm not wearing it (which isn't very often) I have the matching keychain they gave me:
With his name and the symbol for infinity on it too.
And my April "due date club" - who I had to deliver shocking and, I imagine, rather frightening news to about my son's death and subsequent birth - got together and sent their love and support in the form of a lovely charm:
With his full name engraved on it, and "in my heart."
There just aren't words to say how much this means to me, how kind and thoughtful these gifts are. They aren't just memorials to my son - that alone is a gift, having something tangible to hold - they also remind me that I have people in my life who remember, that his memory will go on not just in my heart, but that he's touched the lives of so many others who carry him in their hearts as well.

And it's a reminder that I am loved, held, supported. That's the even larger gift these beautiful little treasures are symbolic of, and I'm grateful. I want them to know that the kindness of the hearts who gave these gifts is felt so deeply and appreciated, but there just aren't words.

11 comments:

Michele said...

I have been blessed too and you are right... there are no words to describe what it is like to gave others remember and acknowledge.

Lynda said...

I couldnt agree more, its a beautiful thing that we remember our children, but WE will ALWAYS remember. Its something incredible and touching beyond words when OTHER people remember our children.

Remembering William with you. I know its coming up on that two month mark for you Dawn, I will be thinking of you and William on the first. *hugs*

Hope's Mama said...

I hope these special friends stick close in the coming months. The gifts are very beautiful. Small comforts though. Beautiful jewellery, but how we wish we could have our babies instead. I'm glad you have friends like this.

still life angie said...

Those are beautiful gifts. You are incredibly fortunate to have friends in your life that acknowledge your William.

Ya Chun said...

so sweet!

Shannon Ryan said...

such lovely friends you have there.

CLC said...

What sweet friends.

Funsize said...

You have wonderful friends. I'm glad you can feel supported with them, I've heard stories about the awkwardness afterwards. I'm glad they aren't like that. Your necklace, bracelet and keychain is beautiful. What a nice thing to have, something as a physical reminder of him, something that could engage people in conversation about him. It's absolutely beautiful.

xoxo

jstrong said...

I cried when I opened the present from the April DDC. As awful as this has been and continues to be, I am continually amazed that the number of people who have come out of the woodwork to offer their support. As you said, it helps keep my head above water.

nikki wood said...

Oh they are so beautiful! I am looking into getting myself some kind of jewlery to remember my babies by and these are beautiful ideas! How lucky you are :) I've also added you to my blog list!

John Hedtke said...

You deserve all this love and support. You're a decent and real human being who has had a horrible and unfair thing happen. We're all in this together, one way or another. I'm glad I can add a smidgen of help here and there.