Monday, May 11, 2009

The Next Place



Of all the books I've read about stillbirth and grief and loss in the past month, The Next Place is the one that moves me the most.

It's a poetic, poignant look at what comes after death... the next place. It's not religious - no mention of God or angels - but it's not secular either. 

It's written as a children's book, and I've read it to the kids several times (and even made it through without sobbing *all proud*) but this book truly transcends age, or gender, or... well, everything. It's one possible image of what might be next, if we are truly energy... and if that energy can't be created or destroyed... how that energy, our "soul," might continue on, in the next place.

Bittersweet and truly beautiful. 

3 comments:

Shannon Ryan said...

I haven't heard of this one, I'll have to check it out.
Tear soup is another good one.. I sob every time though..

Anonymous said...

I got Mommy, Please Don't Cry- There are No Tears in Heaven. It's geared more towards children but I liked the artwork. Even though it's for children, I still cried when I read it.
http://www.amazon.com/Mommy-Please-Dont-Cry-Heaven/dp/159052151X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242089678&sr=8-1

I'll have to find your book too.

xoxo

Rory said...

The Next Place is an amazing, visionary work. We actually read it to R as a part of his usual bedtime rotation (along with a handful of others) because I want him to have that vision firmly in his mind.